Jaim Jaim asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Do you think Attention Deficit is a REAL disorder?

Sorry, I dont mean to offend anyone here but I really dont believe it is an actual disorder....THIS IS MY OPINION!!

EVERY child Ive ever known who supposedly had it was just hyper or not disciplined by their parents. I blame it all on lack of parenting skills...I mean Ive actually been in households where the parent does nothing but let the kid run wild and do whatever they want, they dont discipline them at all, then they argue with them about everything. Then they have the nerve to take their kids to the doctor for being hyper or argumentative.

As far as adults, its called stress and having a lot on your mind. Its not a disorder.

Doctors are way too quick and willing these days to diagnose you with something and give you medicine! What they really need to do is tell parents to get control of their child or tell adults who are diagnosed to relax and get rid of the stress in their lives!

• Linda
    Favorite Answer

oh yes if you have a normal child and one with attention deficit in front of you the difference is obvious!

While I agree that doctors make way too much out of this and prescribe medications too often, the disorder is real I assure you. My granddaughter has this problem. We have tried time out, putting her in the corner, spanking; taking away privileges; reasoning with her and everything in between. The worst part of ADHD children is they are dangerous to themselves. Most of ADHD can be controlled with diet (eliminating sugar, dyes, white flour...junk food in general), but the condition also requires intervention in the form of counseling and/or medication. It has been proven, by the way, that ADHD has to do with chemical imbalances between the father and the mother. While I agree with you that a lot of these kids are just undisciplined, there are cases where it is the actual disorder. It is extremely hard to deal with believe me. It helps to know that many of these children are extremely intelligent and I think boredom is a contributing factor to some of the discipline problems.

Oh and incidentally the adults who are diagnosed with ADHD or ADD aren't just stressed. When you can't focus on what you are doing and have a million thoughts racing through your mind at once, it is very distracting and difficult to deal with. I know now as an adult, that I experienced this all through school and into adulthood. It just didn't have a name back then.

Source(s): medical professional

Yes it is over diagnosed these days, but that does not mean the disorder does not exist. I know for a fact, my brother at a younge age was diagnosed with ADHD. My parents discipline him.And did not actually want my brother to be diagnosed with ADHD, but when they couldnt turn their back on him for a second without him running away, or trying to destroy something. And no matter how many things were taken away from him or how many time outs he got(which was a lot in a day trust me) it made no difference. Once my brother started medication,with doubts from my parents, he was the same old brother of mine, just a lot more calm. Not saying the medication fully helped him, seeing as how he would do whatever he could like hold the pill in his mouth till my mom wasnt looking and spit it out. But when he did, you should have seen the difference. And thats not only it, I have add which is not a hyperactive disorder, I just have trouble focusing on things for long periods of time. I do not use it as an excuse for anything, its known to my teachers, so they understand and help me learn to my best ability which may mean extra help on tests and on assignments or longer periods of time to do tests and assignments. So really, because I know of this I have been doing a lot better in school, I am on my way to finishing highschool and going away to become a Elementary teacher.This is not something I enjoy hearing, because people like you in "my opinion" as you like to put it are very uneducated on many things. And you talk before knowing all facts and before being the parent, the sibling, or the person with ADD or ADHD. So before you are so quick to judge on the parents of these kids or on the kids themself, please get your facts straight.

Source(s): personal expirence.
  • Alex62

First, ADD and AD/HD are two different disorders.

AD/HD includes hyperactivity, and yeh, I believe it's probably overdiagnosed.

ADD does not include hyperactivity, and I believe it's easier to conclude the ppl with the inattentive type are not that smart while those with the attentive type are seen as hyperfocused. Both types often are underdiagnosed despite the real life problems they can cause.

As for neither existing, pfft, blanket, uneducated statements usually make the person look like a fool. I agree that some doctors hand out medication too easily, but I completely disagree that it is never appropriate! Try learning from the ppl around you and appreciating your good fortune at not having such challenges.

I know this question will probably offend some parent whose child has been "diagnosed" with ADD, but.... I agree with you 100%. I have always felt sorry for brilliant, hyper cheldren who are just acting like NORMAL KIDS, and get put on some medication that makes them zombies. I have seen this happen. This guy I used to date had a sister with two kids, both were put on ritalin and I watched them go from normal, energetic kids to... seriously.... zombies. BAD, BAD, BAD mother. She just couldn't handle them.

Um, i dont know. I have ADHD and it is not parenting skills, i'm 13 and I know why I have ADHD my birthmom took drugs when I was in her stomach, which is why im adopted and it came with Alot of side effects. Im pretty much a normal kid,though. But it is a real disorder. (by the way, I didn't read all of your question,sorry. Just part of the first two sentences...)

• fiVe

I agree that it's over-diagnosed, but I do think it is a legitimate disorder in some cases.

I think it is a real disorder. I also think it's far too over diagnosed.

Uh, I can't remember the question.