What happens if you are caught driving without your license?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I have a valid driver's license, but I left it at school and I am only home for the weekend. I have never gotten pulled over before and I don't speed, so I don't expect to ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
I dont know what planet the other people who answered are on. There is a law that requires you to carry a drivers license with you. As such you can get a ticket for not having it. Most officer will let you slide if you have a valid license, but its not with you. In my state, at least, anything is arrestable, but the only way youd end up on jail is if you dont sign the citation. Most states its a small fine, and some its even correctable (ie you just have to show it at court or a police station and pay a small court processing fee).

Source:

Im a police officer

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
thanks. in the future i'll try not to forget it
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (7)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Dave answered 4 months ago
    I don't know what state you are talking about but in GA your vehicle will be towed and you will be taken to a local police station to be picked up by someone if you have a CDL and the ticket will not be cheep. My towing bill was $225 ticket $550 and vehicle storage $320 so have the thing with you. They also did $1800 damage to my Harley and let it sit in the weather for two weeks. Don't do it in GA!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • gomanyes562 answered 6 years ago
    It would help if you memorize your driver's license number. It really depends on the cop. Some will let you go and some will give you a ticket. If you get a ticket, you can just take your license to court and show it to the judge and he should cancel the ticket, but this is a bit of a hassle.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • carriec answered 6 years ago
    Jamie. i am not sure where you live, but i live in Iowa. i left home to run to my dads house and forgot my purse. I was pulled over because i did not have a plate on the front end of my car (i had a vanity) the cop did give me a warning for the plate and a ticket for not having my license with me. I went to the courthouse to show them i did indeed have a valid license and they dropped the ticket for that.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • jim answered 6 years ago
    You do need to know all your personal information. SSI #, birthday, full name, and it helps to know your drivers license #. The cop will look at you funny and ask a lot of questions. Its most likely a $10 fix it ticket (at least it was for me). Some cops are really cool and just let you go, most will have to ticket you. They will ask you where your license is. I suggest you pretend to look for it and "realize" its in your other purse, dresser, or you must have left it in your other pants. I'm sure knowing you didn't have it on you is a stiffer penalty than "forgetting" it
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Kate [shewilldestroyou] answered 6 years ago
    In some states you will just get a ticket in others a warning, and in some strict areas you could get arrested. it really depends on where you are.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Lane answered 6 years ago
    It all depends. Anything can happen. State Laws change..
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • WILFREDO B answered 6 years ago
    Well first of all if you are driving without a license you can be punished up to 1,000 dollars and 180 days in jail and a suspension of up to six months for your first offense. If you don't have a license yet the suspension will go onto the one that you would have gotten.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock