Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Does anyone actually know what a "communist" is?

"Communist" is often no more than the name ascribed to those people who stand in the way of the realization of such ambitions (as "national security" is the name given for the reason for fighting "communists"). It is another twist of the old adage: if communists didn't exist, the United States would have to invent them. And so they have. The word "communist" (as well as "Marxist") has been so overused and so abused by American leaders and the media as to render it virtually meaningless. But merely having a name for something - witches or flying saucers-attaches a certain credence to it.

At the same time, the American public ... has been soundly conditioned to react Pavlovianly to the term: it means, still, the worst excesses of Stalin, from wholesale purges to Siberian slave-labor camps; it means, as Michael Parenti has observed, that "Classic Marxist-Leninist predictions [concerning world revolution] are treated as statements of intent directing all present-day communist

actions.'' It means "us" against "them".

-William Blum "Killing Hope"

What do YOU think?

Favorite Answer

well, not exactly. for one thing, I am a communist. I believe that it is the eventual social and political order that will be adopted all over the world. People point to the fall of Soviet communism as a sign that it will never work. However, the original democracy, Greece, failed and we didn't see democracy again for two thousand years.

A communist is someone who believes in a society described by Karl Marx and Friederick Engels in "The Communist Manifesto".

What it DOESN'T mean is what American propaganda has led many to believe, i.e. an 'enemy' or someone that wants to 'take over the free world'.

There is nothing in the manifesto about creating a police state; Marx's "dictatorship of the proletariat" means nothing of the kind. In other words, Soviet style repression does not come from Communism.

To summarize the Communist Manifesto, there is complete collective ownership of the means of production. Decisions are made through workers' councils. The 'dictatorship of the proletariat' is the way a 19th century philosopher or social scientist would describe rule by the proletariat (working class).

• 地獄

it's a shame that most people don't want to hear (or understand) what communism is, just because their political leaders have convinced them it's a bad thing - to some people I think it's on a par with murderer or something....they've been well and truly brainwashed and it's usually the people who would benefit most from communism.

So those bourgeois scum have done their job well

;D jk

Communism was never going to work with those capital dogs fighting tooth n nail against it...I believe it can only work globally, ie, every government must be communist or even better, the un rules and becomes communist. All resources shared between all nations, not in just one nation.

By definition a communist as someone who belongs to a commune. And a commune is a group of people who are all equal in power and authority who have combined all their assets and work for the good of the commune.

The problem with this system is it only works in groups with limited numbers. Communism in larger numbers becomes unmanageable due to the lack of incentives to produce more than what is necessary for the commune to survive.

Communism for a nation requires unequal power and authority. Someone or group will have to provide direction and guidance for the distribution of goods and services. This in it's self will go against the very definition of what communism is theoretically is.

I once heard someone say that Marx's original theory required the govt to be a stable, and prosperous. Then and only then would the people have enough time to start thing about the "great injustices."

No country has ever fit these requirements.

However, look at he USA and Western Europe. We are prosperous. We have a solid government. And guess what, we are now imposing government restrictions on business to help elevate the lesser man.

(Ironic, sounds kinda commie to me.)

I imagine now the Soviets are gone, well with Putin still there, I guess they just changed their name. The old farts in China dying out, tin-pot dictatorships falling, the only Communist around are the socialists intellectuals who are disenchanted with our devalued system.

I believe that if we work really hard we may be able to repair much of he considerable damage done this country by the Party of the Fundamentalist god.

I hope the average American will no longer be the average...A-Mur-A-Kin.

"Hope springs eternal in the breast of man...".

Can we still say "breast" in our country?

So if has been so overused as you say, you would care if people called you a communist right. Communism is the idea of making life fair and equal to everyone, I refuse to work like an dumbazz to get the same as the guy that doesn't work at all. Yeah I know we have welfare and it is the same, they don't work and we give them money is that fair to you or me.. That is Communism in a nut shell.

• iceman

I think Wikipedia, has a simple and decent definition.

I believe like all other (ISM) , Pure Communism with out frequent monitoring and modifications based on Science and logic would fail .

Regards.

A communist is someone who believes that everyone who works should cash their paychecks and drop the cash into a big pot. Then, someone should be "entrusted" to take all the money out, count it and divide it up equally among everyone, worker or non-worker.

The part they didn't count on was that the workers would eventually join the non-workers, because, let's face it, why should they work when everyone gets the same amount anyway? And... eventually, there's nobody paying into the system and it collapses because there's no money to re-distribute.

Let's not even talk about what happens when someone untrustworthy becomes the "entrusted" re-distributor.

• Mozo

Apparently the US government doesn't know. They hated Chinese Reds, now they are our best Commie friends. We liked the Cubans , now they are our great Satan. We hate N. Korean Commies, and suck up to Saudi tyrants. We all but ignore African genocidists, and take Russian's Putin dictator to Bar-B-Cues. I guess it just depends on.....well ...... Whatever?