Anyone see previous movies on "I Am Legend" movie?

I discovered that there were two previous movies made based on the "I Am Legend" story by Richard Matheson.

One was called "The Omega Man" made in 1971 starring Charlton Heston. The other was called "The Last Man on Earth" made in 1964 starring Vincent Price. Has anyone seen these movies and if so were they any good?

• KENMAN
    Best Answer

i've seen them both...'last man on earth' is a b&w movie that sticks pretty close to matheson' s fantastic book...

'the omega man' just plain stinks...

but, even after 3 attempts, hollywood still hasn't done real justice to the book...although we were spared a rumoured vesrion starrin' ahnuld...

"The Last Man on Earth" was an Italian-American production, filmed in black-and-white, and though it was very faithful to Richard Matheson's original novel, it had a very low-budget, low-tech feel about it, and even with a running time of 86 minutes, seemed to go on forever.

"The Omega Man", even with color and a good budget, was more a starring vehicle for Charlton Heston than good science-fiction, and included a motorcycle-riding, gun-toting girl sidekick, a laughable performance by Anthony Zerbe as the leader of the night people, and a jaw-droppingly awful parallel of Heston's character to Christ (including crucifixion) at the end of the film. Bad cinema.

No one yet has made the "true" adaptation of Matheson's novel. Too bad.

Do your research. Have you read Vampire Academy? I'm going to say not seeming you think it's anything like Twilight. As others have said the only thing they have in common is that they're about vampires, although VA's vampires are totally different than the sparkly ones. Lets touch on some bases shall we... Main Character: Rose Hathaway is a strong, kickass character. She's sassy and has great lines (seriously all her lines are gold). And underneath all the attitude she's a caring, loyal person. All she wants to do is protect her best friend who's the last in one of the royal families from the evil vampires, Strigoi, who want to kill the Moroi, the good vampires. Although think about that guys, you'll be killing of the best meal you guys have! Little humor there. She trains dedicatedly to become a guardian so she can be assigned to protect her best friend. She's not some weakling. Even with being gone for two years she's still the best in her class. The Story: This is not a story about love or a love triangle. Overall this is really a story about friendship. The whole story revolves around Rose and her best friend Lissa. How they overcome all the obstacles in their way. There's love thrown in but it's not the main focus. The story isn't dependent on it. There's tons of action, I'm not talking about love action although there is some of that. There are fight scenes and attacks that cause lots of emotional damage for the characters in the story (and the readers). And before you decided to take your next statement to the fact that it's called Vampire Academy most of the series doesn't even take place at the academy. It takes place all over, Montana, Pennsylvania, Russia, Las Vegas, etc. So besides the fact that this series is badass we're also getting a lot of travel time.

Last Man on Earth is fantastic, and the Omega Man was kind of silly but watchable. Both are better than I Am Legend, IMO.

I saw most of the Omega Man but had to go out towards the end - didn't mind as I found film quite boring.

The omega have a B- rating by yahoo users

you are right. I saw omega man -very cool