Is a door lock assembly same as actuator?

My mechanic has advised me to order a door lock assembly for my 1998 Honda Civic. I have power locks, and my driver's side door will not open without him having to use a Sawzall to open it, and he will have to replace the lock. While looking online, I see lots of power lock actuators. Can anyone tell me if this is what I need? Is there a difference between a lock assembly and a lock actuator? I have already ordered and received the striker, because that is what will have to be sawed to get the door opened. HELP!

Favorite Answer

WTF kind of mechanic are you working with there hun.......if he was any kind of a decent mechanic hewouldn't have to use a sawzall to get your door open....there are other ways to accomplish this without damaging your car in any way.......personally I would question what is actually wrong as this guy obviously has no idea what he is doing.........more likely it is nothing more than a loose rod in the door causing it to not open!!!!

BOTTOM LINE: take it to another mechanic to check out and open your door the proper way!!!!!!

PS: the actuator is what makes the electric locks work.....the lock assembly is the actual assembly that your key goes into!!!!!

• ?

Door Lock Assembly

The Actuator is the motor for your power locks. It moves the lock rod that is connected to the knob on the door and then to the latch assembly. So they are two different things. if your locks did not come up when you hit the lock button the actuator would need to be replaced. Hope this helps

Mike

Get a new mechanic. If he can't get it open without a sawzall he doesn't need to be working on that car. Find a real shop with a real technician who will get the door open and replace the correct part(s) so that your door works normally.

What is a door latch assembly and actuator?

• ?

The actuator on that door is bad and if I am not mistaken, I think oyu have to buy the latch assembly to get it.

the actuator is the part that electrically locks your door if you have power locks. the lock assembly is what is frozen up on the striker. you should get the part through honda. tell them what trim, DX, LX, EX and 2dr or 4dr.

or look at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

NO NOT THE SAME THE ACTUATOR IS THE MOTOR THAT PULLS THE LOCK OPEN OR LOCKS IT. THE LOCK ASSB. IS ALSO CALLED THE LATCH ITS WHAT YOU NEED

Source(s): ASE MASTER TECH

HOLY MACKEREL!!!!! YOU NEED ANOTHER MECHANIC REAL BAD ...TAKE IT TO A BODY SHOP .