Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

who is considered a classic blues artist, Bessie Smith- Louis Jordin- John lee hooker?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That depends on they type of blues you're talking about. Just as in jazz and ragtime, there are sub-genres, usually stylistic or geographic in nature.

John Lee Hooker (1917-2001) presented a mix of delta blues and modern boogie-woogie. Bessie Smith (1894-1937), although she sang and recorded many blues tunes, would be classed more properly in a jazz-blues vein, or "vaudeville blues" along with Ma Rainey and Mamie Smith. Louis Jordan (1908-1975) was more of a rhythm and blues performer who was popular in the late 40's and 50's.

The styles of all three performers is widely varied, and each can be called "classic" in their respective genres of blues.

• 1 decade ago

Bessie Smith would be considered Classic Blues. John Lee Hooker would be Modern and Louis Jordin is in that wierd in between world of late 40's big band jazz and early Rock and Roll.

• R
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If by classic blues you mean early blues of the 1920's I would say that only Bessie Smith fits this description. If you include early music of the 30's and 40's Louis Jordan (Who actually started in the 30's) could also be considered a classic blues musician. John Lee Hooker didn't come along until late in the 40's so I don't really consider him a classic blues artist. I always hate pigeonholing music into genres though as the definition of blues (and nearly every other genre label) has changed constantly from the early 1900's to the present.

• 1 decade ago

John Lee Hooker

• Martin
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Bessis Smith is the only classic blues artist you have listed. ALL the "classic blues" artists are women.

John Lee Hooker is a unique bluesman from Detroit via Mississippi-a genre unto himself.

Louis Jordan (correct spelling) is the father of jump blues-an amalgam of big band swing and R & B that arose after World War II

Source(s): self-35 years researching blues.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Oh I have to say the man...John Lee Hooker!!!!!!! And I want to add Muddy Waters...and living I want to add...Buddy Guy!!!!! Oh there are and were so many...just love the blues! If u have not heard it..get the Hooker & Heat double cd..there is one that has only 1 disc but that is not the one...it can be hard to find..but so well worth it!!!!! It was done back in 68-69 it is still just awesome!

• 1 decade ago

John Lee Hooker-no contest!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

JOHN LEE HOOKER.Bessie Smith was soul and Louis Jordin was jazz.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Today? Unfriendly Woman

• 1 decade ago

john lee hooker.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.