holocaust museum in D.C?

i have a couple of questions...

do you have to pay to get in?

is there a certain age have to be to get in?

is it sad? Have you cryed?

Favorite Answer

Go to:

http://www.ushmm.org/museum/

This is the official site for the museum. There is loads of information here about the permanent exhibits, rules of the museum, and a section on frequently asked questions. You will find all you need here.

"Is it sad?" Absolutely, but that is not the reason for the museum. You must go here with the state of mind that you are doing this to preserve the memory of those that died. This is not something that should be ignored and by visiting you are demonstrating how YOU are trying to comprehend the tragedy and allowing those who died to live on.

Remember, the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

I hope this helped you, and I hope you visit the museum.

1. There is no admission fee. However, it is timed admission (so it doesn't get overcrowded). So you need to get a ticket ahead of time. The only way to reserve a ticket is to order it through a commercial service which charges a fee. So...if you show up in line, wait for a ticket to go in later, it's free. If you want less of a hassle, you pay a processing fee.

My advice: if you're a tourist and visiting DC, skip the online order. You've got other stuff close by (FBI museum, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, all of the Museums on the Mall--the Smithsonians, etc.). Visit one of those and while you're there, wait in line for the Holocaust Museum passes and then come back when it's time for your entry.

2. Certain Age? You don't need to be 18 if that's what you're asking. It's possible they might restrict babies or toddlers (our son was in elementary school when we took him so I wasn't focused on age restrictions for toddlers or babies).

There are some exhibits that are shielded or a certain height in case you want a 10 year old to not see lineups of people stripped before going into the gas chamber or a film of Babi Yar executions.

3. Is it sad? Of course. I didn't cry but I'd seen most of it before (just not in this gathering).

Several recommendations:

--Do go. It should be required admission for everyone.

--Expect to be moved.

--You can get an "identity" when you enter (of someone who was in the Holocaust). Do this. At stations through the Museum, you punch in your card to find out what is happening to your character. It will help personalize the experience for some individuals.

--Pay attention to the architecture. This is more than just a building that holds a lot of tragic artifacts. The building "speaks" as well.

--Don't plan on having lunch or seeing something funny right afterwards. It would be good if you had time afterwards to "process" or walk to another museum on the mall.

Source(s): DC resident, WW-2 scholar, visitor to the Holocaust Museum

It is free but you have to have tickets which you easily can obtain. Simply go to its website for information: www.ushmm.org. The site gives detailed information on how o visit the museum. I live in Washington and have visited several times. It is a well done exhibit irrespective of its topic. It is sensitive and well worth a visit I assure you. I highly recommend it. Whether you will cry or not depends on your own personality. But i have neverseen anyone cry,but all visitors are very serious and attentive. I have yet to meet anyone who ever regretted visiting it. it is a definite must for anyone who wants to be educated. I was at the openig ceremony in 1993 when then president Clinton spoke, but did not visit for the first time only later witha group of War veterans. I assure you those hardened fellows were moved and all intently took time to read all and view the exhibit. Thi= ose who have visited both the Israely Yad Vashem museum on the same topic , say that the US exhibit is far better. If you are interested further in the topic you may wish to join the Yahoo! Remember_The _Holocaust group which I moderate. Thanks for your good question. By the wy, if youare a high school age student , you can compete in essay contest on the topic. More information on that is in the group I mentionned.Remember_The_Holocaust@yahoogroups.com

Source(s): Remember_The_Holocaust@yahoogroups.com
  • marcus

The best way to avoid the lines is to become a member of the museum. One of the memberhsip benefits is that each year members receive two open timed entry tickets valid for one year and this next benefit is especially good--you also get priority admission from 10 am to 10:15 each day--just go to the entrance and walk in with your tickets in hand. I'm a member and was able this way to avoid a line that had hundreds of people in it waiting for the museum to open at 10 am.

• WMD

Unfortunately I have not been to this Museum.

I am sure they have a website that can be easily found or provided by another kind person who answers your question.

The thing that I am most curious about is - how the information for the approx. 5,000,000 non-Jewish victims of the Holocaust is presented.

I don't remember if I paid to get in, but I think I did.

It is very sad. I didn't cry, but I wanted to.

I remember that our plans were to go out to eat after we left, but after seeing what happened to those people, I lost my appetite. I would have felt guilty if I ate after seeing that. I would suggest eating before going inside.

You do have to pay to get in there is no age I seen people in crying it is really mest up dam nazis !!!!!

II think you have to pay but i have herad that it is really good and may make you cry