Should we boycott watching the Olympic games in China and also the sponsors?

After what is happening in Tibet I think we should: just boycott watching them.

Sorry, I repeat the question because it was deleted in the section Olympics, maybe because I wrote the names of some sponsors. I received some good replies and I hope to receive them back.

Update:

We should remember that Olympics are business, first of all. And we are the customers, we could have a large power if we decide together and it is not so important what our government will do, WE have the strongest weapon: our atention to the spots. I'm sorry for the athletes, but I think that human rights are much more important.

Update 2:

News Hound: I'm not so sure that Chineese government would be so insensitive to the international business and selling less Chineese products all over the world. I'm sure they are insensitive to human right, but not to that.

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Human rights are the athletes' rights, as well, so don't feel sorry about that.

    To me, not only the Olympic games and the sponsors, but the chinese government should be boycott for more reasons beside that.

    Hope people never forget the chinese studendents under those tanks, or 8 years old kids working 16 hours a day in the factories...

    it's a shame!!

  • 1 decade ago

    I boycott the olympics regularly because 90% of the events bore me, but yes I will probably skip the other 10% too this year. Not only because of Tibet, but because of China's threat to block any action against Burma. I hope many countries seriously consider France's idea of having their athletes boycott the opening ceremonies.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    in principle it sounds like a great idea, but the Olympic Games is the single most powerful event to ever happen, that will expose the Chinese government's human right abuse record, and publicise the plight of the Tibetan people.

    a complete boycott would destroy that opportunity, it is better to support the protests during the Games. hopefully more celebrities and public figures stand up and protest China's actions -- this has a very influential effect on the perception within and outside China.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Do you honestly think it will make the slightest difference to China it we Boycott the Olympics.

    The abuse of human rights has been constant in China pre- Tibet, many countries in the world have raised serious objections,has China listened,? of course they have, but, has it made any difference No. how many countries will actually boycott will be most interesting to see,that decision will be based on economies of the individual countries.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I am not sure this would be right but I have stopped buying ANYTHING made in China if we in the UK did this it would show the Chinese that we are disgusted but if we boycott the games sportmen all over the world will be more hurt than the Chinese. Other people may not agree as is their right.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yes i will. Im genuinelly upset about how terrible the Chinese treat people. The left wing hippies in the UK and America love to insult our military record (and i agree Iraq was a bad idea, and i went twice!) but just look at the Chinese and then you see just how much more fair we all are!

    The Chinese are terrible to people. I will boycott the event entirely, and i try not to buy Chinese too. I fear that in the future they will be the death of us all

  • 1 decade ago

    Boycott watching the opening ceremony and urge your government officials to not attend the ceremony. That would cause a great blow to the Chinese officials without harming the participation and work of the athletes.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No. Once we start boycotting these events it will be self-perpetuating.

    Think about it; the Americans boycotted Moscow, so the Russians boycotted Los Angeles.

    On a totally selfish basis, I don't want anyone boycotting the London games in 2012, so I certainly don't think we should boycott Beijing.

  • flint
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Yes, but are we also prepared to boycott the oil that comes from Iraq because of the human rights abuses there as well. This could go on and on.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes, we should not only boycott the games not only in the name of human rights but, also for all the pollution their people suffer, not to mention our toys that are poisoned!!! Buy nothing at all from the whole country untill they comply!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.