I don't quite understand this text about wheather homosexuality in buddism is wrong/right?

Found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenzin_Gyatso%2C_14th...

He has repeatedly affirmed his Buddhist belief that homosexual behaviour is sexual misconduct. In his view homosexual sex is not acceptable in Buddhism or for Buddhists, and society otherwise should accept the challenge to tolerate gays and lesbians. He explains in his book Beyond Dogma: "homosexuality, whether it is between men or between women, is not improper in itself. What is improper is the use of organs already defined as inappropriate for sexual contact." It has been said that in 1997 he explained that the basis of that teaching was unknown to him and that he at least had some "willingness to consider the possibility that some of the teachings may be specific to a particular cultural and historic context."

I don't understand, its it right on wrong.

PS: I don't want your opinion

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It would seem that the buddhist stance is that homosexuality is wrong. And that seemingly the Dalai Lama is saying it may not so much be wrong as long as you use the correct anatomical part. Read what the wikipedia says the Dalai says about abortion. Paraphrased ... "if it's gonna be retarded or something like that... then abort it please." but killing is a negative, only if that which you kill isn't handicapped in someway or other.

I would not consider the wikipedia as a reliable source of information for some of this stuff. It would be really sad if the Dalai actually said that, and that was the context.

Ah well, I'm not buddhist anyway.

EDIT: I had forgotten about the part that the buddhist and some hindu beliefs say that sex should only be for reproduction, and all that attachment stuff. Therefore limiting hetero-sex and saying that homosexuality is wrong because it clearly doesn't contribute to reproduction of the species.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Anupam T ignores the many animals that are proven to have gay contact

He says "should accept the challenge to tolerate gays and lesbians.[29] He explains in his book Beyond Dogma: "homosexuality, whether it is between men or between women, is not improper in itself. What is improper is the use of organs already defined as inappropriate for sexual contact." It has been said that in 1997 he explained that the basis of that teaching was unknown to him and that he at least had some "willingness to consider the possibility that some of the teachings may be specific to a particular cultural and historic context." I think that gay sex is fine so I dunno why anyone would label it wrong or peverted

Edit: if Maurog is right then that's still wrong as it's blaming the victim of a homophobic attack

• Sheila
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Sin is Sin, whether its homosexuality or not its all sin. All sin needs to be repented for. I don't really know why people Jump on Homosexuality as a huge sin, i believe its just as bad as any of the others. I have sinned, so I don't think I'm any better in the eyes of God then the homosexuals. To deny what they are doing to be a sin, is where they get in trouble with God. Everyone has natural desires to do sinful things, if they didn't there would be no sin. It takes work to suppress those desires. Homosexuals can inherit gods kingdom if they repent for every homosexual act. God will forgive every time. I believe god understands the difficulty of the temptation and that is why he offers forgiveness. The bible talks about how these people aren't going to inherit God's kingdom so they understand what they can do to change that. The old testament is old, and very different from the New testament. As someone mentions the "He who is without sin cast the first stone" Nobody is with out sin, nobody should be stoning anyone. As a christian, i do get upset with Christians that force their beliefs on other people. I mean, there aren't any laws against premarital sex, but it is a sin. Many Christians and non Christians have had premarital sex, why aren't they being treated the same way? Basically i answered this question because i wanted you to notice how often in the bible does it mention Homosexuality, how often does it mention other sins, obviously homosexuality wasn't Gods biggest concern, and please don't let the Christians that act like its the worst thing you can do and show hate towards homosexuals, cause you to hate Christianity, because no where in the bible does it say to practice hate.

• 1 decade ago

It means that the writer of "Beyond Dogma" BELIEVES that homosexuality is unacceptable in Buddhism but he does not know where this opinion came from nor does it have any foundation in scripture to back this up. He says that he is willing to accept that the idea came from some particular cultural or historic event but he has no proof of this.

In other words it is nothing but his PERSONAL OPINION that homosexuality is wrong in Buddhism and he has no proof from any other source. Buddhism itself makes no comment on the matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Buddhists do not think in terms of right or wrong. We look at things in terms of beneficial or non-beneficial. Since we work on maintaining our karma and if you work to better yourself, you work to better all. To say that something, or someone, is wrong, is to judge and incur negative karma from your negative thoughts.

Homosexuality may be non-beneficial to one that is not attracted to the same sex, but it is beneficial to those that are. For me to say someone is wrong because they are different from me, would be non-beneficial thinking. Such thinking would take me further away from enlightenment.

If the people are happy, and not causing suffering or pain, of any sort, physical, mental, psychological, and both parties accept the other, then it is beneficial for them. Since it is between those two involved, thery decisions do not affect my happiness nor my karma in any way. So why would I concern myself with it?

The animal kingdom has many examples of homosexual activity. dolphins, penguins, giraffes, flamingos, etc. There have been reports written and documentaries filmed that cover this. You can search online for some information on this as well.

Source(s): Practicing Buddhist
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You fail at using Wikipedia. The important thing is not what's written, but the little references that take you to the sources.

Buddhists don't like sex at all, because submission to the senses is opposite to Buddhist goals. So pleasure in any ways is frowned upon. Furthermore, there are various possibilites to harm another person because of sexual activity (mostly not in physical sense).

I think what he meant to say is that homosexual sex is bad in certain societies because you and your partner might be persecuted by bigots, which means you indirectly caused harm.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

...if you don't want opinions why did you ask the bloody question in the first place? If a buddhist scholar is confused on the issue, then more likely than not you're only going to GET opinions rather than a definitive answer.

Personally, from what I know about Buddhism, I don't understand how it can condemn homosexuality; it just doesn't seem to fit any of their beliefs that I know of.

• Green
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Dalai Lama said, that if it were proved that anything that was incorrect in Buddhist beliefs, that he would drop that belief in Buddhism. That included reincarnation.

I have read time and time again, that Buddhism is not to be believed in as factual on the basis of faith, to try it for yourself and adopt what works for you. Homophobia does not work for me, as it only causes unskillful thinking. If it is part of the original beliefs of Buddhism, I just wont use those texts and continue to practice what works for me.

• My understanding is that strict Buddhist believe sex leads to attachment. So a person should be as celibate as possible. Even having sex in marriage for reproduction should be limited to the minimum amount.

So it is not against homosexuality itself, but rather all forms of non-reproductive sex.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My understanding is that Buddhism - and remember there are varieties - regards homosexuality as wrong. However, Buddhism is very tolerant compared with some other religions. Buddhism is also against promiscuity, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.