Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

experiences with Autism?

I am writing a story based on a girl with Autism

for an assignment for english.

I want to get quite close into how people relate to autistic others

So if you know anyone autistic, or are or have an autistic sibling

can you please tell me about your relationship to them

or any habits they may have etcerta etcetera

information from the net can only tell you so much,

but something personal means so much more.

Thankyou guys =D

Favorite Answer

My 4 y.o. son has autism. Many days I think, Why him? Why me? But I have to always remind myself that my son's condition is so much milder than most cases.

He looks typical, he doesn't drool or flap hands. He speaks quite moderately, can tolerate people whistling, noises, or getting his lined cars messed. That's why when he has a tantrum over his frustration of failing to deliver the right message, people just stare at him, labelling him as spoiled and then look at the mother who's not doing a good job as a parent. Or when he suddenly barks at children or attempts to push them, people's eyebrows are raising.

He's very visual, sometimes that means a problem. I can't go to supermarket because he thought our stuff was gone once we put it in the locker. He's quite rigid sometimes, and we've had fights over how he wants to have things done his way.

I saw the symptoms at 15 months old. He ran away from other kids and covered his ears as if in pain while the kids screamed in delight. He wasn't verbal until almost 3. We got the diagnosis at 3 years and 2 months. Before that, I'd evolved myself into guessing what he wanted, I made every decision for him and didn't even bother to ask him anything anymore.

Many days I'd spent in tears, my spirit was broken. I hated guessing his inaudible words. I'd poured my love into this boy, and I never got a hug and a kiss from him. "He's still a toddler, he doesn't understand yet!" I'd told myself. Then I saw kids younger than him, rushing to their Mommies and chatted about the slides and swings.

Deep down inside, I knew something's not right. I'd decided to do something about it. His reluctance to socialize drove me to drag him out of the house 3 times a day. We'd go to playgrounds, park, lakeside, hiking, swimming, crossing a bridge, city centre, supermarkets, shops, bus rides, ferry, every place I could think of. Within a month, I noticed a change. He's not that scared of loud noises, crowds or buses. He's looking forward to have these daily trips. He still hates people, but it's a start.

As soon as we got the diagnosis, we jumped straight into the intervention. We're doing ABA therapy for 9 months now, and it's like cracking a shell off him and the real personality emerges. He's charming, funny, a fast learner, eager to help people, and that cute dimpled smile always melts even the coldest heart.

He now has a playdate whom he likes. The tremendous progress he has in such a short time is nothing but miraculous. I'm in awe at how much he wants to learn and know.

My life is much easier than before ABA. His vocabulary skyrocketed and he can express his wants and needs, not specifically, but it eliminates the guessing game. In fact, he likes to play with words and came up with his own joke: "What's so furni? The funny-ture!" and "Eleven Elephants"

I'm his mother, his therapist, his carer, his friend, his guide, his teacher. I'd do everything for him because he is my world. If there's a magic spell that can make Autism disappear, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, in the meantime, I'm content with what we have. My boy is healthy, my boy has Autism. And that gives him extra challenges. But we'll overcome them. His many hugs and kisses give me strength and hope.

Autism comes in different brands, and with different strengths. Some people experience trouble with social skills. Some cannot concentrate on the important thing, mainly because they cannot identify the important thing.

Autistic people tend to be smart. They are observant. But they may be responding to stimuli that you would ignore.

Imagine no filter. Everything comes into your brain with equal importance. How do you interpret it all?

Most autistic people that I know, (including my two children,) have to establish routines that will act as a filter for experience. Changing the routine threatens everything, because now the whole world comes invading, and how do you sort through that?

If too much happens autistic children tend to have a "melt down." In other words they throw a fit. Getting dressed for school and having socks that do not match can be a calamity. Unless it is a day when people are supposed to dress funny. Then mismatched socks are desirable.

All people want to have friends. The same is true for autistic people. We/they know that they are different. No one wants to be oddly different. Social pressure requires a certain amount of conformity, and acceptance by peers.

Watch the movie, "Mercury Rising." The little boy is a low functioning autistic person.

Good luck.

Autism is a really difficult topic to tackle. There are well over 200 forms of autism... some very broad and hard to diagnose. It sounds like perhaps you are a high school student. If that is the case I would start by talking to one of the special education teachers in your school. If you are sincere and your intentions are genuine, I'm sure that you can get some helpful information. You might even get to spend some time with a student. Keep in mind that autistic kids are often very perceptive and may be able to pick up on the slightest insincerity. And be carefull, these kids can get hold of you. It's really easy to get attached and really feel like you can get through to them. Good luck with this!

I dont know a whole lot,but I am going to LEARN,bacause I fear my grandson may have Autisim,he is only 7 months, but I 've recognize some signs sense birth.

I did work with autistic,and some severely mentaly chalenged children-long ago when I was a teen.(volunteer work.) And I never forgot any of it. It was extremely enlightening.

I also had a friend whos little girl 5 ,had Autisim.and she became quite close to me.I payed attention and watched her every move. She did some fascinating things.

One day ,when there were a few people over the house,she came to the table with some little stuffed toys. She stood still and seemed to be studying each person(looking above thier head and on either side)..She then very promptly placed one of the colored toys in front of each person....stood back,and clapped her hands smiling. *no one else seemed to be paying attention--but I was. I waited till she was disstracted with something else,and when she wasnt looking ( I mixed up the toys ,so every person had another color.) when she did notice,And it was VERY evident when she did...She (without hesitation) put the colored toys back to each person Exactly as she had put them the first time.! I did this again,and again she put them back.(mind you ..there were 9 people at the table.) One of the persons noticed what I was doing and we then mixed them up one more time,with her watching.....she took the toys went up to one person ,and holding a yellow one above his head she said...Ello(yellow) then she went to the next ,waivng the blue one around her head saying Boo(blue)..she continued this way till they were all back where she had originally placed them.! I was in awe of her! She was seeing *something* we could not.************I could tell lots more, but not enough time..As I said,I too need to do more research. Good luck to you with all you do.

I learn a bout autism it have 2 kinds, 1.the autis because of less from nutrition and 2. because the complicated problem, and also you can try read some of the novel by Tory Hyden it's the theme the house of glass.also Tory is ex autis, many of the theme of her book a bout autis.

Source(s): pscology of Education by Gabar A'bd Gabir The house of glass by Tory Hyden
  • .

My 10 year old daughter is Autistc and they say children with autism can't love, but they are so wrong. these kids love on a so much deeper level that humanly understandable. You have to know someone who has it to see this. It's a wonderful experience.

I'm Asperger, and so I can tell you that I can singled out a lot. It's really hard for me to talk and socialize, and I think intellectually almost always.