Sci-Fi Recommendations?

I love Star Wars and Star Trek, but I find that when I look for science fiction books, all I can seem to find are books about similar subjects:

a) the end of the world and the struggle of humanity to survive

b) technology is going to get us in the end

c) the robots are going to eat us

It seems like most sci-fi books I've looked at are about fear of the future and social commentary.

Can someone recommend something that is more along the lines of Star Wars or Star Trek? Or the Dragonriders of Pern?

Favorite Answer

it really depends on what you want to define as sci-fi. if you are talking space and technology then yes most will be the same. which is true of almost any genre.

enders game is a great book-it also has about 7-8 books in the storyline. its more military minded then sci-fi ish.

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and stainless steel rat line of books are more the comedy side.

if you want a combo like dragonriders then the christopher stasheff(spelling) line of books are very good. basically they are about a guy that started out in space travel and turns out he is a warlock. so that combines fantasy and sci fi.

piers anthony is another good author who combines the genres.

There's a series that begins with Midshipman's Hope by David (?) Feintuch that is very different. Full of action; somewhat violent, though. Involve similar space battles and on-board rivalries as in the Star Wars and Star Trek series. Books may be hard to find; check Alibris.com for out-of-print copies . . . or a good library.

Although some people wrongly categorize Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy as fantasy, those -- what I'd call sci-fi -- books are the most amazing books I've read in many respects. (Ignore the movie; it totally cops out.) Basically, the story is about the individual vs. the church and eventually a hubristic (is that a word? means full of pride) God. Heady stuff . . . very well-written.

Books are: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.

I would agree with whoever wrote that Ender's Game is the best of the best. There are sequels (and a prequel of short stories called Enderverse -- actually, Card's book was a short story he expanded) and companion books (beginning with Ender's Shadow -- which tell the story of Bean, a character in Ender's Game). I got sucked into them all and waited for each to come out. Good news: they are all out now.

Ender's Game stands alone, however. You don't have to read the whole series to enjoy it, and only hardcore sci-fi people or people like me to have to follow a character to the bitter end read them all. Orson Scott Card has a great web site, too.

Source(s): Just me, a reader.
  • Liz

I totally grew up on Star Wars, Star Trek, and Pern! I know exactly how you feel. My favorite author ever is Lois McMaster Bujold. Her Miles Vorkosigan books are... there's just no words. Miles is the most awesome character I've ever read. There's no end-of-the-world and no robots-are-going-to-get-us. Maybe some social commentary, but not look-at-my-social-commentary kind of stuff. It's all very subtle. It just throws in what kind of technology might develop and explores how people might react to it. But that's not nearly as important as the characters, who are all fascinating. TRY THESE BOOKS! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

• Echo

Larry Niven. Some of them are about the a, but most aren't. And they aren't about fear of the future. Depending on what sort of person you are, reading them can actually *gasp* get you EXCITED about the future. :)

Also, Dragonriders of Pern- if you liked that, you'd like another series by the same author (and another one) called "Acorna". It's about an alien girl and it connects to lots of myths on Earth. (Mostly about unicorns) Also, the companion series to that- "Acorna's Children"- connects to still more myths. And it's definitely science fiction. :)

Hope this helps!

(And who doesn't love Star Wars and Star Trek?)

PS: The best book I've found by Larry Niven (in my opinion) is a collection of short stories called "Neutron Star". It's kind of hard to read, but I think it's worth it.

Source(s): Science fiction ADDICT. :)

My personal favorites are the Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Not really like Star Wars or Star Trek, but excellent books.

There has always been two divisions of science fiction that goes back to two of its early founders. Jules Verne saw science as a positive that would continue to lead humanity into a better and brighter future. H. G. Wells, on the other hand, saw the dark side of science. He was a pessimist about the future and how science would be used to destroy.

Also many of today's readers confuse science fiction with fantasy. The rule with science fiction is: does the story seem scientifically feasible.

It sounds like you're looking for a well-crafted, interesting world that's not a depressing dystopia. My first thought was actually "Firefly," but that's not a book, and you've probably heard of it.

If you haven't, check out Joss Whedon's TV show Firefly, and the movie Serenity. It's a lot of fun!

Ender's game, Dune... you know these, I'm sure.

Tim Powers can be fun. He might be more "fantasy" than you're looking for. Everything I think of turns out to be fantasy, and not science-fiction.

Good question. I'll keep an eye on the answers, and maybe something cool will pop up.

I have found exactly the same problem over the years. I think that it is the publisher's fault for not catering to this genre properly. The last truly great Sf book I read was called Ender's Game. If you've read it then good for you, if you haven't then do yourself a favor. I've written a book that would be right up your alley so when I get published I'll let you know the name. Lots of luck to all of us.

I agree with j153 but I'd add Arthur C Clarke and Gordon R. Dickson.

You should be able to find tons of books by these authors and probably really cheap on Amazon or at any second hand book store.

Edit.

Here is a good link to free online books by famous sci-fi authors.

http://www.freesfonline.de/index.html

• j153e

Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov.