Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

Programming Games?

I'm looking into going into some kind of engineering in college. Recently however I started learning how to program as a senior project in High School. Through creating a game I've gained some interest in maybe leading down that path some time later in life, maybe not at all. Anyways my question is if I were to go and get a degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering would that completely steer me from the chances of programming games as a career.

If so then what is the actual degree you need to go into game programming?

Note: I know the school I wish to go to offers programming game courses...

Favorite Answer

Computer Science is clearly the way to go. It is a difficult discipline, but it has significant advantages if you want to be a game developer.

Most game development is about

o getting the most performance out of the computer

o doing something new and original

o working with reams of data

Nothing prepares you for this like a rigorous computer science program. If you have game programming classes, all the better, but they aren't critical. The far more important thing is for you to understand truly how computers work, and how to build complex algorithms and data structures. When you can do that, you can apply it to any type of programming.

You can get into a program that promises "game design" or "game graphics." These programs look attractive because they don't require as much math and programming. They also don't typically lead to real jobs in the gaming industry.

Learn to program well, learn how computers really work, and write some great games along the way, and you'll be able to do game programming. With a solid foundation in computer science, you'll be able to pick up the other skills as you go.

If the game programming career doesn't do what you want, you'll still have a degree in computer science. That's a pretty decent fall-back position.

Getting a degree in computer engineering or electrical engineering won't prevent you from writing games. My first degree was in special ed. The engineering disciplines won't directly reinforce your desire, but they're not a bad match. Not as good as computer science, but not a bad choice.

The best way to learn how to write games is to start writing them. If you can take a class, great. If not, just start working. Invest in a good book or two. (I might humbly suggest one) and get working.

I'm impressed you didn't ask about the language you need. It isn't really all that important, as languages come and go. You'll need something deeper than specific language skills.

Still, I've been teaching Python in my beginning Game Dev class, and I've been very happy with it. It works on all platforms, is quite powerful, can do 2D and 3D games, and is entirely free. See my L Line book for info on game development in Python.

I've also done a book on Flash Game Dev, but I'm a little tired of Adobe's antics, so I don't teach in Flash anymore.

Good Luck!

Source(s): Comp Sci teacher Game Programming The L Line (author) Flash Game Programming for Dummies (author)

Computer engineers are responsible for the hardware part. They do need programming skills, but not that much. If you want to be a developer, you need to do Computer Science. Be warned though, most people who choose computer science have the feeling that they'll be making games and those things from day 1 at college, but you'll rarely do any graphical programming during your first two years. However, if you are really interested in programming, you surely will love developing even the dullest looking applications.

I started my degree as an electrical engineer -- but after a couple years I decided I wanted to double major in computer science. If you have determination, it will work out well.

Source(s): Software developer