Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

LDS Men and Women, what role will exalted women play in God's Kingdom?

I read a Blog from a self-professed Mormon. He wrote:

"The first calling God gave women (and men, for that matter) was thus, "..Be fruitful, and multiply..." (Moses 2:28). Goddesses spend eternity having and raising children."

That irritated me.

lol. I don't know why he bothered me. Just before the quote i posted he wrote:

"So what does a goddess actually do? Does she sit and govern planets and organise the construction of planetary systems? No! This is what males do.

Well why don't females do this? Because females aren't men. Nor do men do what women are best at for the eternities. Men do what men are best at."

Favorite Answer

"...shall woman be recompensed in rich measure for all the injustice that womanhood has endured in mortality"

James Talmadge wrote: (Former President of my alma mater)

"When the frailties and imperfections of mortality are left behind, in the glorified state of the blessed hereafter, husband and wife will administer in their respective stations, seeing and understanding alike, and co-operating to the full in the government of their family kingdom. Then shall woman be recompensed in rich measure for all the injustice that womanhood has endured in mortality. Then shall woman reign by Divine right, a queen in the resplendent realm of her glorified state, even as exalted man shall stand, priest and king unto the Most High God. Mortal eye cannot see nor mind comprehend the beauty, glory, and majesty of a righteous woman made perfect in the celestial kingdom of God."

To be exalted means to become a God or Goddess and have all that God has. While this includes the ability to have children throughout eternity, this does not imply that men or women will be re-productive work-horses. What does God do? That's what exalted beings will be doing. We don't know all that God does for work or enjoyement in heaven but whatever else there is, we will enjoy it too. Exaltation is about eternal blessings and happiness for all that qualify. So whatever all we will be doing in heaven we wont be miserable. We'll be fulfilled and happy beyond description.

Source(s): I am LDS. I study my religion and know it well.

I understand where you're coming from -- however, I think those who take such a simplistic view of the eternities are in for a very rude awakening [nor have they studied the teachings of Joseph very well to begin to perceive the order in the eternities and how much life here is patterned after what we knew and will be dealing with again].

I would also hazard a guess that such an individual has never held a calling which required him to go to correllation or welfare meetings -- where he would learn just how much the bishopric relies upon the relief society to keep the ward running smoothly.

That having been said...

What is the work and glory of God? the eternal life of His children. We experience this here on this earth in small degrees when our children make righteous choices, receive gospel ordinances and then further, raise further righteous generations.

After all -- there is no job description which is fuller or more detailed than 'mother' -- oh, and what is it that's always said as soon as someone gets a flash of fame on camera? Hi - Mom!

Source(s): A mother who KNOWS

We don't really know. Anyone would just be guessing because there has been no revelation saying "this is what women will do"...

What gives me comfort is knowing that we cannot achieve god or goddess status without eachother - we must be together for that opportunity. To me that shows that God knows we are equal. Maybe we will have "bigger" tasks than men will... think about earth, WE are the ones who have the children. How much greater of a blessing is there than being a mom?? I don't think it's going to be like we are eternally pregnant. We don't even really know how spirits will be created, that is just something we will have to learn later...

Don't worry about it too much, just try your hardest to get to the CK and "it will all work out in the end"- President Hinckley.

Source(s): LDS for life and longer!

He does make it sound banal, void of glory, and even a little insulting. But be careful that you don't mix too much of our own societal perceptions in with his statement. Our society tends to look at raising children as a burden, when it is supposed to be a gift.

I am not saying he is right. In fact I find his callous approach offensive as well. I just wonder sometimes. What do I want to do for eternity? Certainly not sit at a desk and balance ledger sheets or hope to earn enough for a new flatscreen/ipod/jetski/etc. If I consider it deeply enough, I want to spend the rest of eternity doing family type things like teaching children and spending time with my spouse. Is raising children really "worse" than whatever te men will be doing?

It's the segregation in his statement that is most offensive, I guess.

It's really easy to speculate about what the eternities will be like. And it is easy to come to our own personal conclusions. But just because an idea or theory can fit into what has been revealed, doesn't mean that it is true. I can see how a person can come to those conclusions, but it may or may not be true. My guess is not. The only problem I see with it is the blogger seems to make these statements as facts instead of opinions.

Well, my wife have a equal say in everthing in our family, so in Eternity, I would not think there will be any different.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

(Old Testament | Genesis 2:24)

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 11:11 - 12)

We'll do what we do best- be a help-meet for our husbands...

The thing is that the term, "help-meet" isn't a mis-print. It's correct, and a really great descriptor for what a woman can be for her husband.

Helper-

We help our husbands in the work they do. Here on earth, it is traditionally the husband/father's role to earn the money and provide physically for the family. It is his role to lead and preside. Traditionally it has been the wife/mother's role to do the hands-on care for the children.

Consider the requirements for the highest degree of the celestial kingdom- that of eternal marriage. People make a big deal about the fact that a woman cannot receive this without a husband, but they forget that a man cannot receive it without a wife.

We are more in tune with our Father and His influence. As such, we are a wonderful resource for our husbands to turn to in times of need.

We bring a beauty and refinement to a man's life. Granted, some don't realize and don't care, but many are appreciative of this and are grateful for the home we make of the house they provide.

Meet-

We are also (ideally) our husband's equal. Just as unequally harnessed animals can cause tremendous damage to themselves and to the equipment they're pulling, if we're not joined to a man who is our equal, we bring harm to ourselves and others around us. When a husband and wife aren't equal in strength or love or testimony or wisdom or...., then one feels inferior (fear, self-loathing, resentment)... and/or one feels superior (pride, resentment) and neither sentiment is healthy.

How these roles and duties translate to the eternities, I really don't know, but I do know that without a wife, a help-meet, a helper that is his equal, a man by himself is doomed (damned?)....

With a quick re-read, notice the absence of "pregnant".

We believe that a woman's greatest roles are that of wife, mother, sister, aunt, etc. We also believe that a man's greatest roles are husband, father, brother, uncle, etc. Totally equality.

However, God will never force one of His children to spend eternity doing something against their will. There are many heavens, and only in the highest will there be the raising of children.

I am fully satisfied with my joy-filled choice. God will honor whatever you choose, too.

No reason to be irritated.

lol

Well dont you think our Heavenly Mother is still raising her kids?

I think it just irritated because it made it sound like women should be barefoot and pregnant for all eternity. I dont see it that way.

One of our greatest blessings in eternal increase.

He doesnt have a clue how much of a role women play. They are equal partners.