Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Having recently came back to Jesus, I'd like to know where I should begin reading the Bible again.?

Do you think I should start with the New Testament or go from the Old Testament to the New Testament?

There's still a lot that I haven't read and don't understand. Thanks.

Best Answer

Start in the New Testament, preferably with the Gospel of John.

I would recommend that you start in the New Testament. Get to know the Jesus you have returned. Begin in the Gospels e.g. Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. Then read the others Gospel books.

As you begin each time with God in quiet time, pray that God's Holy Spirit will lead you and guide you into His truth and into a greater revelation of Jesus.

Try to make your quiet reading, devotion time a daily practice. It is like eating - you need it in order to survive.

After the Gospels, have a read through Genesis so you can see the link between what Jesus did on the cross and why He did it.

From there, go back to the New Testament and finish of the books there. The New Testament is the covenant in which we are living now.

Then enjoy reading the Old Testament (realising that this was a covenant under law). However, you are now under grace.

The Holy Spirit will teach you what you need to know as you spend time with Him, you will learn to recognise His voice (quiet inner voice).

And don't worry... I've been a Christian for a long time and I still have a lot to learn and there is a lot I don't understand.

May God bless you in your renewed walk with Him.

The New Testament is the word of God, the word of God was spoken by Jesus only, in the Gospel (Good News) of Jesus the Christ, called by men the gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

The book of Revelation and the Book of Daniel chapters 8-12

Matthew, Mark and Luke have to have two witnesses testify to the same story for it to be true.

The book of John, the 3 letters of John and the book of Revelation need no other witness for it to be true.

The Books of Matthew, Mark and Luke give the 77 commandment/saying of Jesus the Christ.

The Book of John tells us who God the Father is, who LORD God, the Christ is, and who we are.

The OT are words mixed with lies and truth as given to Moses and the Prohets in order to deceive the whole world.

John 1:17-18 John 5:37

John 3:14

John 4:4-22, Luke 4:5-7 and Luke 4:9

John 5:19

John 6:32

John 10:8, Luke 24:25

Revelation 13:5, Matthew 1:17 (14+14+14=42)

Revelation 13:10-17, Numbers 21:7-9

You should start with the new testament, so you can learn about Christ, His birth and resurrection. After learning Christ you can understand the old testament better. There are also alot of good christian videos on youtube that can help. I personally like the videos from truecore08. He talks about how to be free from sin.

• Dave

Start at the beginning, and end at the end. KJV or NKJV. Acts 8:37 and 1John 5:7&8 will begin to tell you why. Read these in NIV, then in KJV---you will be amazed!

Bless You

--Ray W--

P.S. Stay away from study guides until you've read all the way through first. I just finished reading all the way through, and it is totally different. Study guides tell you what the man who wrote the study guide thinks the passage means--let God speak to you personally. Then, if you want to study--study away! Believe me, I tried it. God speaks through it when you let Him.

P.P.S. Amen Markusbdark! (below me) Asker, read his real close too!

I would strongly suggest spending large quantities of your time in prayer asking the Holy Spirit for guidance in everything. It is a beautiful thing to be led by the Holy Spirit and experience God on a personal level and then when you read the Word it just confirms what you are already doing.

One of Christianity's biggest errors is we have this need to know things before we do them and that is not how God works. We can do nothing to please him without faith so just do it and then he will show you the results after. Carry on and be prepared to enjoy the greatest ride of your life.

• Genesis 1:1.

• Gifted

The New Testament

Proverbs or Palms

Then go to Matthews and the rest in the New

:)

jlu

• i personally love reading psalms. the book of psalms is just a great way to reveal god's glory and to appreciate everything that he is. ecclesiastes is a great book that talks about how earthly possesions and desires are nothing compared to the joys we find in christ. otherwise, just open up and read!!

God bless <3

I think you should get a one year bible in whatever translation you choose and start reading it every day. Start with the day you purchase the bible if you like. Reading my one year bible helps me alot. Good luck and God bless you.