Explaning to a teacher my home situation (COA)...?

To basically sum it all up, I'm a child of a substance abuser/codependent, my parents are finishing up a long awaited divorce, etc. etc. and lately I have been falling back in my classes. My teacher wanted to talk to me to see what was going on but I'm not sure how to explain to him my situation without 1. crying/getting emotional or 2. having a report made to social services (as I've dealt with them in the past). I don't want my situation to seem like an excuse and/or I don't to be pittyed for it...any suggestions??

Favorite Answer

I would explain it to your teacher, exactly like you just did in your question. It always makes me feel better when I get things off my chest, and it may work for you. best of luck to you and your family.

I am a former teacher. Talk to your teacher. If there is nothing going on that requires Social Services to be involved, then he will not call them. You can also just tell him that the divorce is happening and things are getting to you right now. The problem you have with classwork is that if you fall behind on today's work, then tomorrow you have two days work to absorb and it just goes on and on until it's next to impossible to catch up. Accept any help that will assist you in catching up with your classmates. Oh and teachers have seen students cry before. I hope that this divorce makes life a bit easier for you. Sometimes it is the best answer. I can't tell if one of your parents has it together and the other not or if both have problems. If it is only one I hope you are with the one that is sober, if not ask to move to that parent. No matter what you think you cannot help a person sober up, whether the problem is alcohol or drugs, unless they want to sober up. Do not take this responsibility on your shoulders.

I really feel for ya. Been there myself and I understand how you feel.

First, I'd tell your teacher that you're having some trouble with the divorce and you'll try to do better. Then, do your best. Second, I'd suggest you talk to the school counselor, and then I would see if it was possible to live with the other parent or family members.

You really need to talk to someone about the things that you're going through. Good luck!

Just let him know plain and simple that your parents are getting a divorce and that when things settle back down that you will be able to concentrate more. You don't need to get into the whole substance abuse if you don't want to. There are so many parents getting divorces that Social services shouldn't be called. Let them know that you really don't want to discuss it with them b/c it makes you upset . That should be enough information for your teacher without you getting to upset.

Tell him the truth as best as you can, and don't be embarassed if you cry a little. I know from sad experience it is impossible to keep up with your schoolwork if your home life is like a battleground and you are going to need extra help to deal with it. Trust your teacher to help you, he has probably heard things like this before. Alot of kids have problems at home, you are not alone in trying to deal with problems like this. But don't make the same mistake I did and just try to deal with it yourself. Your schoolwork is important and if you allow someone to help you with this situation now you will be glad you did.

Suck it up. Don't cry if you don't want to. I agree to the other answerer, try talking to your counsellor or maybe put and note to the counsellor or the teacher if you don't feel comfortable explaining your situation orally. It's NOT embarrassing. Hardly any teacher will treat you specially because of your situation... (If they're normal.) If they do, ask them not to and say that you can manage.

Try speaking to your SENCO, your school must have one. They are trained to help anyone with a problem which effects their learning. They should be able to guide you in speaking to your teacher.

Talk with your school counselor about this...They are there to help you...Make an appointment k..

Tell it how it is. It's not about you deciding what you want.