Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What does "init" mean at the end of sentences?

There was a particularly coarse young woman on the train yesterday making a very long mobile phone call to someone, and she ended just about every sentence with "init?". Is this English or some other language. What does it mean in this context please?

Update:

and why is it so necessary to use it init?

Update 2:

robert j: believe me, this woman did not have a typist. her conversation was uniformly unpleasantly chav

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Its the chavs version for "Isn't it"

They are unable to speak our language so they must form some vile amalgamation of their own, bloody morons that they are.

Source(s): Scallycentral.com <---Burn them all, before its too late.
  • 1 decade ago

It seems that she may have been dictating something to be typed and in that context the use of "init" would indicate the end of a sentence. This would be an aid to the typist.

• 1 decade ago

In England they say "init" like a billion times after their sentences. It means isn't it.

• 1 decade ago

It's a yes/no question particle, like "ko" in Finnish, "oder" in German, "ma" in Chinese, "ka" in Japanese and so on. I use "or" in the same way sometimes. I've read letters from the seventeenth century complaining about the youth of that day using "do" as an auxiliary verb in yes/no questions. Plus ca change...

Language changes. It's always been like this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it is common (very common) English meaning "isn't it." It would be used to obtain your agreement to what was previously said, such as "The bride's dress is beautiful, init?"

• 1 decade ago

'Init' Meant isn't it. And it is generally used by chavs and others who can't be bothered to say the whole word =]

• Duke
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

init sentences

• 1 decade ago

Are you sure this wasn't a very abrupt, accented version of "isn't it", asking for confirmation?

• 1 decade ago

its just a bit of good old northern slang , it derives from wales where the nationals end every sentence with a "isn`t it"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think its like "isn't it"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.