Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Do you find the term "elderly," or "old age pensioner," derogatory?

I do. I prefer the term "older person."

Best Answer

I prefer senior citizen. Just because I'm over 60 doesn't mean I am elderly. Elderly sounds like you are sick and helpless. Same with old age. I and most of my friends, their in their 70s btw, are live wires. We are out and about and living life. I always thought of the elderly as being cared for in nursing homes.

When I was 16 I objected to the term- my son- which came from not my father but a complete stranger.

My mate hates being called a Chav,

I can't stand the term Middle aged, it sounds more like Middle ages !

Geriatric is another bone of contention ?

What about Recycled teenager or Active Pensioner ?

I think I prefer Senior Citizen, but there again that is only my own personal view.

That is the trouble there are always those who want to

pigeonhole and steriotype everyone, but everyone is an individual, at every age level and what seems to be either applicable to the age attained, the person might be either forward or backward to those years. A friend of mine is 41 but acts like a 80 year old, my mum when at 80 acted more like a teenager, so that leaves the question why catigorise in the first place?

We are all part of the human race, as long as we don't come last who cares !!lol!!

Blarp- Calling a dog a 'Labradoodle' is insulting. why not just say Lab/Poodle Mix? it's only three characters longer than that derogatory cutesy term. If any person ever told me my Lab/Collie mix was a Labrollie or something equally stupid, they would be swiftly informed of just how stupid they truly are, same as people who tell me all about their brand new Puggadoo or their rare breed Pommirottiwow. They don't own a special designer breed. They own an unspecial, common as muck mutt. And I, as well as every well educated dog owner and lover should, will continue to tell them that. My dogs go by the terms Bitser, Mutt, Mongrel, Mixer, crosses.... Anything like that. I find people telling me that they own a Chiweeniedoodlepoo insulting to my intelligence, and insulting to dogs. Don't get me wrong. I frigging love my mutts. I love all mutts. I hate designer dogs. I will not take something called a Shihtpoo or a labradoodle seriously. It is a joke, and a bad one at that.

Apparently 60 is supposed to be the new 40,,OAP, Elderly,

are all terminology for the over Sixties,it was Geriatric for a time ,now that is derogatory;I expect in a few years time another word will pop up for the Older Generation

Hiya!

Definitions of elderly on the Web:

- aged: advanced in years; (`aged' is pronounced as two syllables); "aged members of the society"; "elderly residents could remember the ...

- aged: people who are old collectively; "special arrangements were available for the aged.

- A person greater than or equal to 65 years of age.

Definitions of derogatory on the Web:

- Derogative: expressive of low opinion; "derogatory comments"; "disparaging remarks about the new house"

- A word or phrase is pejorative if it implies contempt or disapproval. The adjective pejorative is synonymous with derogatory and dyslogistic (noun: dyslogism) (antonyms: meliorative, eulogistic, noun eulogism). ...

Phoebs

when I think of the word "elderly" I think of people with alzheimers or dementia who are living in facilities getting medication and assistance that they can't get at home. I don't think they care that we term them elderly. (I'm not talking about those people who are in there recuperating from heart attacks, strokes, etc. who will be returned home to still live active lives).

I haven't heard the words "old age pensioner" since the 1950's.

I would think most of us would like the term "seniors". AARP calls people over 55 seniors.

I dont like derrogatory words for any one who is "elderly". I think old age pensioner is a horrible term for people who have worked hard all their lives for the measly little amount of money they get.

There is nothing wrong with the first two terms. And who cares whether you find them derogatory or not? Are you an old pensioner?

You sound like the type of person who decides things are derogatory without seeking the opinion of the person or people in question. There are are already enough of your lot telling us we can't put Christmas decorations up as it offends minorities. Minorities that when interviewed, say the couldn't care less and actually enjoy them.

i couldnt care less to be honest .. people just analyse things so much until they find something to be offended by .. i dont get offended when people call me a teen, so why should they be offended if anyone calls them 'elderly' or an 'old age pensioner'? that is what they are! its just a fact for gods sake .. when im an old woman people can call me what they want, whether its an older person or an old codger - i dont care because thats what i will be!

nfejiphueiophfeuafhopwe !!

I am fine with those terms, but I don't relate much to them. I don't even think of my mother and her friends as being elderly and they are in their 80's. Today's older men and women have a lot of mileage left. Perhaps it has something to do with good nutrition and lifestyle choices.