Will the issue of race be a negative topic of change that will impact Obama's run for President?

As an Independent and Veteran I love my country, but I know that it is not perfect, as Obama has said himself. However, it saddens me to hear the most recent developments about the relationships that Mr. Obama chooses have that are so filled with rage toward America and those that are not black. I understand that it is the black experience and as a white man I'm not supposed to understand, but how can we move past it without an open dialogue to learn from each other to experience the "change" that Obama speaks about. Obama’s recent speech he said, "…the anger is real; it is powerful; and to simply wish it away, to condemn it without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races." So when I hear Reverend Wright speak in such hateful terms in plain English, I question who is actually widening that chasm he speaks about? Was it really one isolated sermon that Obama did not attend in the two decades that he has been a member of the church and how can he not be influenced? I too come from a tough background growing up in a poor neighborhood to a mother on welfare and an abusive alcoholic stepfather, and last time I checked, race played no part in my circumstances as a child. So help me understand the black experience because it sure plays a big role in this election when Obama makes speeches regarding race. I agree that we need change in Washington but it cannot just be a top down movement. It must be a social movement of dialogue and action that begins in the homes, schools, and churches and all topics must be on the table, not just rhetoric of change that sways votes. There are many people that like to complain about our country but it is our responsibility to make it ours, to take ownership, and be stewards of what we were given. I’m not saying that Obama should be the one to explain to me the black experience but he has chosen to talk about “real” change and to do so we must address the root causes. Unfortunately, this is the quagmire that Obama now finds himself and has me questioning mine and other’s original votes.

Favorite Answer

You would think that Obama wrote the sermon for Rev Wright.

Get over it.

A black man running for president will always have problems. First, they tried to say he was a Muslim; when that didn't work, they dig up something else. I though that the Muslim charge would kill his candidacy..but now we discover that a Black preacher is worse than a Muslim terrorist. What next?

Take it to the politics section, please; this is Religion and Spirituality.