Who came up with the sentence "Get behind me Satan", and what does it mean?

I'm not an English native, so please elaborate a little. I've always assumed it's better to be able to stare your enemies in the face. Having them behind me rather scares me. (unless it's a naked Johnny Depp, but that's an entirely different topic. I don't even know why I mention that)

So, please explain. Why do some people so desperately want Satan behind them?

Favorite Answer

satan was a doberman that I owned, and it became a very popular thing with mormons when I said "get thee behind me satan" cause then she stopped biting them

Source(s): tee heee they think he is joking
  • Betty

Without any reference to "what the books actually ARE", there's not enough information to "rewrite" the sentence due to the lack of information about "the books". In English "the books" can have a variety of meanings: could mean a number of literary works (as in the "book" 'The Da Vinci Code') "the books" can mean also in English "accounting ledgers"............ They way that the sentence is written now, it sounds to ME (as this is a personal interpretation) "The books got left behind" means to ME: "The books that were meant to be taken [with one] were forgotten [to be taken] by the person in question." Another complete example of the re-worked sentence would be: Due to the fact that we were in a hurry to leave for the airport, the books that we needed for the trip got left behind. I hope this helps............ Christopher K.

Jesus did. It's in the Bible. Here is the reference.

Matthew 16:21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

22 Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, "God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You."

23 But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's."

Jesus said this to Peter because he was giving Jesus bad councel that would have thwarted what He came to do. Satan is the adversary and seeks to thwart God's will. When people act or advise something that would thwart God's will, they are wittingly or unwittlingly doing Satan's bidding. So get behind me Satan. Don't thwart me from God's purpose.

Its an archaic English version of "get lost" or "F You". It comes from the King James Translation of the bible, which many Christians in the bible belt favor as their book of choice, hence all the strange lingo they use.

LOL @ the naked Johnny Depp line. You are so weird sometimes Marky.

It's what Jesus said to Simon Peter (whom you probably know as Peter), when Peter was trying to talk Christ out of going to the cross.

Matthew 16:21-23:

21From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. "Never, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to you!"

23Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

Jesus recognized that Satan was using Peter to tempt Him into not fulfilling His purpose to redeem humankind.

EDIT:

The above posters who said during the 40-day temptation in the wilderness are also correct. At that time, Jesus spoke the words directly to Satan.

Source(s): NIV Bible

That's what Jesus said to his disciple Peter. Because he didn't have the mind of god, but the mind of man. Honestly, if there was a satan, I don't think I'd want the backstabber behind me.lol

The account at Matthew 16:21-23 (BEB) reads:

"From that time Jesus went on to make clear to his disciples how he would have to go up to Jerusalem, and undergo much at the hands of those in authority and the chief priests and scribes, and be put to death, and the third day come again from the dead. And Peter, protesting, said to him, 'Be it far from you, Lord; it is impossible that this will come about'.

But he, turning to Peter, said, 'Get out of my way, Satan: you are a danger to me because your mind is not on the things of God, but on the things of men'."

The name 'Satan' means 'resister', & Peter was resisting what Jesus was telling him, which was God's will for him. Jesus was showing Peter that he needed to listen & accept what he was being taught, rather than serve as a temptation to Jesus. Perhaps Peter just felt that Jesus was feeling low, & was trying to cheer him up. Jesus, however, knew exactly what he was talking about.

The following articles show what actually happened to Jesus, in fulfillment of what he foretold would happen to him:

"Reliving Jesus' Last Days on Earth" http://watchtower.org/e/19980315/article_01.htm

"Jesus' Resurrection on Trial --- Modern Doubters" http://watchtower.org/e/20010315/article_01.htm

These 2 articles explain what part Christ's death has had in the outworking of God's will:

"Mankind's Release From Death" http://watchtower.org/e/lmn/article_08.htm

"Restoration to Life"

http://watchtower.org/e/lmn/article_09.htm

Actually, "Get behind me, Satan" (no Thee) is the newest White Stripes album, the title's obviously a play on "Get thee behind me Satan", implying they'd rather have Satan on their side, maybe even protect him. It's interesting. Good album too.

Jesus said it. It kind of means: Get away. Beat it. Get lost. Hit the road Jack. It is turning your back to Satan--showing him no respect.

Its from the bible. Peter said it I believe and it doesnt necessarily mean you want him behind you but it means more like stop distracting me from the good things, stop tempting me. Get out of my way so I can focus on my true goal.