Question about Peter Taylor's story "The Old Forest"?

If you have read "The Old Forest" by Peter Taylor, do you know what the significance of Mrs. Power is and why Lee Ann doesn't want anyone to find out she is her grandmother? I'm writing a paper (not about that) but I want this as filler information and can't figure out why Lee Ann wants to hide it.

Favorite Answer

because they are having a lesbian affair and she wishes to continue the affair : )

Because Mrs. Power is a social outcast. For one thing, she owns a "night club," which in that time (1937) was the kind of place most people, especially high society types, wouldn't admit to even knowing about unless it was to condemn its existence (though in reality many *men* would go there to be out of the public eye while drinking with their lower class dates). Additionally, she has a giant goiter on her neck, which would likely make people uncomfortable.

Lee Ann correctly worries that if her connection to Mrs. Power became public knowledge, Lee Ann might also be shunned by society, which might cause her to lose friends and limit her ability to achieve her own dreams.

Source(s): I am a literature scholar.