Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Co-Sleeping parents - Why do you co-sleep?

I have co-slept with all my boys. Currently co-sleeping with Mr 6 months.

I do it, because I love the closeness it brings. My 7yo was co-slept with for 3 years off & one. We have a great bond. Same with my 3yo, he moved into a bed at 2 years. No problem.

When the 2 older ones are sick, they still sleep in my bed.

I couldn't imagine making my boys sleep in another room while they are so young, but who am I to judge those who do.

When did you move them out of your bed? Or when do you plan to?

Are you harshly judged over this?

Oh and do people often comment on you not having a sex life?

I laugh at that question. I guess I am the only one who has discovered over rooms in the house.

Best Answer

Honestly, we started co-sleeping because I needed to sleep. My son would sleep so peacefully next to me and sleep through the night. We kept co-sleeping because I like having him safe next to me. We tried putting him in the crib a couple times, but I wouldn't be able to sleep because I was constantly listening for him. It made me nervous to have him so far away.

I love it because I can hear each little breath and feel him shuffling around getting comfortable. And when he wakes up and smiles at me it's just the best feeling in the world!

I'm not judged by anyone but my in-laws. They keep saying "you have to get him into his own bed!" I can understand why they say that, but really, he's not their child and it's mine and my husband's decision on how we choose to parent him. At first I thanked them for their input, and told them that this is the way we chose to do this. Now I just say "he'll go into his own bed when he's ready."

Yeah, the sex thing. Does nobody else have sex outside their bedroom? I guess I'm a deviant!

Truthfully, I get why people don't understand why someone would co-cleep (Lord knows, I didn't understand before I had my son), but I don't the judgement about it. I would never pass judgement on someone who doesn't co-sleep, that's ridiculous. Not everyone parents the same way, that's what makes us each special.

I think our babies are only little once. You only get a short period of time to give them unlimited hugs and kisses and affection before they are too "grown up" for it. I want to take advantage of it all I can.

• My 4 year old co-slept with me for the first 3 or 4 months because he was premature. My second son was premature even more and was 3lbs. When I took him home from the NICU he was only 3lbs 9oz and soooo tiny! I was afraid of him being in the bassinet alone and he also was nursing and everynight he got nighttime fussiness REALLY bad! He would scream and scream at about 8:30/9:30 pm until he was in bed with me and nursing. Now, he is 10 months and it is just easier. My husband is deployed and so there is no big rush, although I would like the space in my bed back! I feel bonded to him though and because my husband is gone, I feel like I need "someone" there. I need that bond. I do baby him a lot because he was so tiny and we almost lost him. It was hard before my husband left because he would complain when I breastfed that the baby got more attention then he did and because my son nursed every hour, we had a small window to have a love life before he came into our bed at 8:30/9:30 and stayed there. It was really hard for us but convenient! I plan on weaning him soon because I will be weaning him off the breast and he needs to start sleeping in his crib.

We don't do it all the time, but it does happen. We have a two year old and an 8 month old. I really like having them so close. My two year old loves to cuddle up next to me. I usually awaken to have him cuddled in the crook of my back. And, that baby smell...and soft fine baby hair...it only lasts for so long.

My oldest had night terrors. Some said let him cry it out, but that only made them worse. Finally, when I held him as he screamed and hit at me...I realized I was going about this all wrong. And, brought him to bed. Now, any time he wakes up in the night he's in our bed. Same with our youngest. I think it brings security to their world.

My two year old is a very well mannered guy for a two year old. I think it has a lot to do with our parenting. Both my husband and I came from co=sleeping families. So, our families are very supportive.

As long as they need/want to be in our bed we won't ask them to leave. We actually bought a king size bed so we could fit everyone in there comfortably.

• My son slept on my shoulder with his face against mine until he was almost 9 months old. I moved him into the crib at around 9 months because he started climbing out of bed.

We started sleeping that way because of my sleep deprivation. I couldn't get him to sleep in the bassinette for more than 15 mins at a time. After a week and a half of hardly any sleep, I let him sleep with me. I guess we continued it for so long because I loved being close to him. It was really horrible to move him to the crib...although he didn't mind at all. I was SO lonely those first couple of weeks without him.

I sometimes was judged for co-sleeping. People would tell me all the time that I was spoiling him or that I was going to roll over onto him. I knew I'd never roll on my baby so I didnt pay them much attention. And I had no trouble at all moving him to the crib so I guess it didn't spoil him either.

Honestly, I coslept because I was lazy!! I hated waking up in the middle of the night to get the baby to nurse.. so I started bringing the baby with me to nurse, and then dozing off while I was nursing. I also felt less paranoid when they were infants and they were sleeping with me. Otherwise I was always listening to make sure they didn't stop breathing or anything. My youngest is 3 and she still sleeps with me when my husband is deployed. She can and will sleep in her own bed with no problems, so its not a matter of her throwing a fit or anything like that. We just both prefer it when Daddy's gone. The other 3 were all between a year and a year and a half old when I moved them into their own beds.

I co-slept with my daughter for a year and then moved her into her crib. Then she started coming back in and we didnt really mind. She's about to turn 3 and for the most part she is in her own bed now, but I love when she comes in with us. I loved every minute of it! I love cuddling with her and waking up and seeing her sweet little face deep in sleep. I want to keep the closeness for as long as I can because it will change eventually. My mom wasn't very affectionate with me, so I crave this closeness with my daughter, and she seems to love it as well. I have never been judged harshly, I have gotten a few eyebrows raised, but nothing I can't handle. Good for you!

We actually didn't start out co-sleeping, but little by little I would put our son in the bed with us.. Sometimes until he fell asleep and other times just to cuddle until he eventually just started sleeping with us every night. He is 9 mos old now and we will probably transition him back to the crib soon, but really aren't in any hurry. A lot of ppl just can't believe we do this and foresee a problem, but I really don't. He used to sleep in his crib some nights and with us other nights without a problem. It feels wonderful to have him so close to us at night. I just love when he reaches over and puts an arm around me at night. It's the best feeling ever.

I so wanted to co sleep with my girls but their father is all over the place when he's sleeping and has tendency to throw things if he feels them in his back so for fear that he would hurt them I didn't do this but they slept in the same cradle for a while and now since they were 5 mo the share a crib.Also for the 1st 2 1/2 mo of there lives they lived in the hosp and slept in the incubators so they were already use to sleeping alone with out me {boo hoo hoo}.

Honestly, I do it mostly because I sleep better that way. In other words, for selfish reasons.

Of course, I do enjoy the closeness!

As far as when I move them into their own rooms, it varies. My first child and second child were in their own rooms before their first birthday. My third was around 15-months. And my four-month old hasn't moved yet. I don't really put a time limit on it; when it happens, it happens.

And I haven't really been judged for it. At least not to my face.

I have co-slept with my daughter for about a month. She got a little more needy while in the bed with me. Just a few days ago, I tried having her fall asleep on me and then putting her in the crib. It worked for me!

The only thing I did not like about co-sleeping is worrying about rolling over on her. And that was what people kept judging me on. "You're going to roll over"

About that sex life comment: Only one or two people have commented to me on that. I told them that is what the couch is for...lol

Source(s): Experience