If Pres. Bush declares a national emergency and cancels the election, what would happen?

Lots of young people I know are saying that Pres. Bush might declare a national emergency and cancel the upcoming presidential election that's supposed to occur in November. Whether you think this might happen or not, if it DID happen, how would people react? I say people would grumble and complain but basically do nothing. Most of my friends say there would be an armed revolt. What do you think.

Best Answer

He would probably get away with it. I'm old enough to remember when Americans were a proud and brave people.

But 60 years of the politics of fear have turned us into a nation of sheep. And, in the days following 9\11 Americans rolled over and helped him pass everything he needed to become President for Life.

The only real hope for a revolt would be that the military hates him for what he's done to our troops. It's not hard to imagine the 82nd Airborne deciding to stay loyal to the Constitution and dragging him out of the White House by force.

Edit: You seem to forget, mutantalbino, that it was the Supreme Court who put him in the White House in the First Place.

No, it won't ever happen. According to the amendments added to the US Constitution after Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected to his fourth term as president during World War II, a president cannot serve in office longer than 2 terms. Mr. Bush is required to step down at the end of his second term in January 2009. No action or order he issues can change this fact. He also cannot stop the election process that is used to select a new president. He is not a dictator and cannot act like one. He has to obey the law and the Constitution just like any other person in the country. If he tried to make himself permanently in office, I can guarantee that the Justice Department, at the direction of the Congress and the federal court system, would issue a warrant for his arrest and remove him from the White House. It's what the founding fathers called "Checks and Balances". No one branch of the US government is allowed absolute power. The other 2 branches would prevent it.

I doubt they would have a national emergency until after the election, look what happened after bush was elected. 9-11

I doubt if even Bush would be that foolish.

You'd have riots in the streets.

I'm not even sure he'd have the constitutional power to do that.

Supreme Court would rule and federal marshals would carry him away.

• Elana

To do so he would have to declare martial law.

The military would "respectfully decline."

we'd get 4 more years.

Y/A P & G would really be hopping then!!

you and your freinds have a good imagination.