what does ignostic mean?

is it just knowing tht there is a god but not havin a particular religion? rite... i think... idk.... what do u think? is there more to it?

Update:

i do mean "ignostic" not "agnostic"

- just for the ppl tht mentioned it = )

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Ignosticism is the position that, before we can have a meaningful conversation about "God", we have to adequately define "God". Since most given descriptors of "God" are muddled, self-contradictory, linguistically empty, etc, it's pointless to talk about it at all. Basically the position boils down to saying "I don't know what you're talking about when you talk about 'God'".

The idea of "God" is cognitively incoherent and so cannot be entertained in thought. It is unthinkable and unverifiable.

Ignosticism is often synonymous with Theological Noncognitivism.

• Ignosticism is the view that the question of whether or not God exists is inherently meaningless because (1) the notion of God has no consistent definition among the various religious factions, and (2) all definitions of God refer to words that do not point to anything verifiable or testable in the 'real world' but only to presupposed 'attributes' extracted through an arbitrary collection of other words.

By that definition ~ taken from the site listed below ~ I am Ignostic. An Ignostic Buddhist to be exact.

• 1 decade ago

Ignosticism is a confusing way of defining Atheism.

Ignosticism states that since God cannot be defined then we cannot even discuss the issue.

Therefore

+ The question of the existence of God is meaningless

+ The concept of God is meaningless

+ Even the terms God, theist, and atheist are meaningless.

But when all is said an Ignostic is an Atheist with a good vocabulary.

With love in Christ.

• 5 years agoReport

hahahahah i loved the last part

• 1 decade ago

Ignosticism is the theological position that every other theological position (including agnosticism) assumes too much about the concept of God and many other theological concepts

Source(s): Wiki
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lykes
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Ignostic Meaning

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As usual the head yahoo sheep gets it wrong.

Ignosticism is a form of Agnosticism not Atheism.

Atheists do not believe there are any supernatural beings, period.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The term is agnostic and it simply means not knowing whether there is a God or not. The person is simply undecided.

• Duke
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

i think you mean "agnostic."

it's the notion that the question of whether god exists is unanswerable.

edit: apologies, the answer below is correct.

• 1 decade ago

I think you mean "agnostic."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.