Whats this huge deal about being scene, or emo?

like im not trying to be rude

but i want to know the huge fascination with painting your nails black, wearing tight jeans, and covering your face with fried hair all colors under the sun

i really just want to know

i desire this answer lol

• Jose
    Favorite Answer

The desire to be different or creative. Usually, when people get older, they start realizing that nothing is normal. Everybody is unique in their own way.

The term emo actually started in reference to music and the correct use of the word is still associated with that. It is not a noun, it refers to sub-genre of hardcore music that (used to) has a sense of being different. This emo (Emotional hardcore music / emocore / emotive hardcore) is considered (and often is) much more sensitive, emotional and in SOME instances depressing. This is a move from the dark, death or political themes in metal or punk towards more emotional themes such as relationships whilst still displaying those same musical styles. Maybe check out wikipedia.......

Regarding what has become most commonly termed 'emo' these days, it is not related to any or all of the traits commonly displayed by "emo's" such as cutting yourself, hating life, projections of being unique or different, or that nobody understands you. The fact that this is becoming a prerequisite, has not helped a lot of uninformed people's ideas on the word or the new wave of people it now refers to.

It appears many, even those who now call themselves emo's misuse the label. The term now incorrectly refers to anyone who dresses,looks or acts a certain way. The new converts may be deluded and think it is about being different, however they are no longer sticking to the original ideals and are now part of a group. Companies realised this also, and marketers seeing another consumer trend added fuel to the fire. This group, like most has prerequisites of fashion, music and attitude among others.

As far as fitting into groups goes, it is an easy choice for youth that are perhaps lost or unsure where they belong. The criteria to join are certainly easier to obtain than for groups such as sporting, musical or artistic for example whereby certain degree of skill, aptitude and apllication is required. It is much easier to simply buy clothing, do some make up / hair and project emo....

Emo's, while believing themselves to be different are actually part of a culture, and thus have a sense of belonging, and it is human nature to want to belong. They do not realise that the clothes or image inherently is not what makes them unique.

Haha... fried hair? Nice description. But "preps" fry their hair too. Ever wonder how they get their hair that straight? Yeah.... that's how.

I think it's ok to paint your nails black, wear tight jeans (I don't know what it's like for most people, but I feel more comfortable in tight-ish jeans, but they have to be flares. XD), and dying your hair. I do that.

Well... Not the painting-my-nails-black thing. I paint them dark purple. ^.^

I'm not emo/scene though. I just do whatever I want. If I see a cool hairstyle/outfit I might try to incorpate that kind of style into my own style, but that's it.

Labels annoy me.

i guess b/c those people are "different" in there mind.

which annoys me.

everyone is different and no one is normal.

I don't get why people get so scared when they look at someone with black nails or wears dark clothes either.

A lot of people think that they are "normal" and normal means you have no mental issues. Everyone has a mental issue. Not like a huge one but yeah. it may be small. like being forgetful or being scared of the dark or being uncomforatble when your being stared at.

people get so fasicated when someone is wearing dark colored things because they think they aren't human in some way or something.

it shouldn't mean anything really.

it just means that you are "different"

Just like everyone else is "different"

I guess it's what's "in" right now...It's like the 80's and "mall hair" alot of teenagers had that look...

What started out as a few individuals trying to create a unique look, ended up being a fashion trend!

stardust

• amanda

the desire to feel unique and different, not like everyone else.

add on to carrie.

i said to FEEL like an individual, i never said they all were. the ppl who started to trend wanted that, and they ended up starting a fashion trend.

i think labeling is pretty stupid i mean giving vclothes a labell liek emo and scene not to you persoanlly im just saying in general, that emo scene is consired like a depressed kind of person who sometimes cuts themselves and gets highly depressed and listens to heavy metal, and scars about nothing. it is just one of those steroypes

• Shaye.

stop with the f***ing lables.

just cause u paint ur nails black doesnt mean ur 'emo'

skinny jeans are 'in fashon'

almost every one dyes their hair!

dood, really ppl need to get over lables.

we are all human!!!!

well thats not what emo is eo is when you cut your self that is the freky part your thinking of goth....

whats so cool about wearing polos and rippy jeans?