Why the price on ebay is so CHEAP?

I'm new to ebay. I just wonder why the price listed on ebay is so CHEAP? Especially perfume and cosmetic? Are they really same as those from department stores?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

1) used

2) imitations

3) fell off the back of a truck

4) all of the above

5) sold by wholesalers who don't have storefront overhead costs.

#5 is legal and what I think most people do. But you'll see a lot of 1-4, too.

Also, beware of high shipping and handling costs. Sometimes it's cheaper to just buy the stuff at the store once you add it all up. That's how many sellers get you.

• 1 decade ago

Are you talking about cheap "buy it now" prices or prices on items still being bid on? If it's really cheap "buy it now" it could be a knock off. Read the print very carefully. If it's checked as "new" condition I doubt it's used. As for stuff still being bid on, usually the price goes up astronomically at the last second because a lot of folks wait until the last minute to place their bid. An item going for $10.00 an hour before the auction ends can go up hundreds a dollars in the last minute!

• Mark
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Prices will go up as more people bid for them. Often items (especially perfumes) will be sold by many sellers at the one time, so it's competition. The person will obviously bid for the cheaper product, and as more people bid and become competitive for the product, the price will rise. Also, some items have been used.

• 1 decade ago

It depends what kind of perfume. Also, if it doesn't say buy now, it's just the starting price. Some people just open it and put it in a smaller bottle and sell it or maybe it can be fake since they sell smell-alike perfumes nowadays.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They make up for the money in really expensive shipping. buyers see the cheap price and are like 'oh this is awesome!'...they buy it...the shipping bill comes in...and it ends up totaling to at least what the product is really worth.

• 1 decade ago

because they are prolly used, fake , and /or the people justwant to get rid ofit

see my dad he has a BUNCH of car parts thatcaost hima lot [like 100 dollars] but he starts the bid at like 10 bucks cuz he needs to get rid of it

=]

love peace and gap

• 1 decade ago

Probably fake things.

and most of it is used. And you can get tricked

like it could say an ipod for - $23

but you might have to pay $23 a month

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because everything on ebay is used. ebay is a risky thing because the thing you buy may turn out to be something really crappy, thats why buying used things over the internet isnt the BEST idea!

• 1 decade ago

Things people sell on ebay.com is cheap because they buy them at wholesale prices, They buy alot of them cheaper.

• 4 years ago

Let's see. If you had the choice of paying $20 to recycle a junk monitor or selling it on Ebay for $60 what would you do? If a 24" Dell were refurbishable they would have refurbished it. Buy a new monitor and figure you saved $60 by buying the new monitor before you threw away $60 on an old broken old and them bought the new one. What if you pay to get it fixed and it ends up having 30 dead pixels?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.