Is it really not the destination, but the journey that counts?

I'm prone to think just about the opposite.

Random thoughts

suggested category:

Travel > United Kingdom > General - United Kingdom

Best Answer

TUCKED AWAY in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision in which we see ourselves on a long journey that spans an entire continent. We're traveling by train and, from the windows, we drink in the passing scenes of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at crossings, of cattle grazing in distant pastures, of smoke pouring from power plants, of row upon row upon row of cotton and corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our conscious minds is our final destination--for at a certain hour and on a given day, our train will finally pull into the Station with bells ringing, flags waving, and bands playing. And once that day comes, so many wonderful dreams will come true. So restlessly, we pace the aisles and count the miles, peering ahead, waiting, waiting, waiting for the Station.

"Yes, when we reach the Station, that will be it!" we promise ourselves. "When we're eighteen. . . win that promotion. . . put the last kid through college. . . buy that 450SL Mercedes-Benz. . . have a nest egg for retirement!"

From that day on we will all live happily ever after.

Sooner or later, however, we must realize there is no Station in this life, no one earthly place to arrive at once and for all. The journey is the joy. The Station is an illusion--it constantly outdistances us. Yesterday's a memory, tomorrow's a dream. Yesterday belongs to a history, tomorrow belongs to God. Yesterday's a fading sunset, tomorrow's a faint sunrise. Only today is there light enough to love and live.

So, gently close the door on yesterday and throw the key away. It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad, but rather the regret over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today.

"Relish the moment" is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24, "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, swim more rivers, climb more mountains, kiss more babies, count more stars. Laugh more and cry less. Go barefoot oftener. Eat more ice cream. Ride more merry-go-rounds. Watch more sunsets. Life must be lived as we go along. The Station will come soon enough.

Source(s): "The Station" by Robert Hastings. (sorry for the long copy and paste...but it seemed 100% apt)
  • holmen

certainly it does.... the exciting starts on the onset of the journey. The trip spot is the objective yet getting there's a million/2 the exciting. every time we shuttle, through air, sea or vehicle, the thrill starts as we pass away the residing house. See, its similar to foreplay. in spite of the undeniable fact that the ending is what you're the two striving for, isn't it real to declare that the development up in direction of that trip spot is relatively the place each and all of the exciting is. Ask your spouse, each and every so often you have reached your trip spot and left her interior the back of Burke, with the toddlers and not the rest. So, a minimum of she will say that the journey, the long or wanting it, grew to become into good on a similar time because it lasted. The trip spot grew to become into super, yet getting there grew to become into additionally...

Life's a journey and a continuous unfolding of causality and random events.....you should make the best of what you've got right here and now....

The destination is organic decomposition and matter decay...

My journey isn't anything to boast about, I hope the destination makes up for all my testing times.

It's the journey that counts. Who knows if you'll ever arrive at that destination?

• LMAO at the suggested category. Anyways, I think they have equal importance. The journey gives you lessons and strengthens you (What can't kill me, will make me stronger) and the destination will give you satisfaction, and feeling of accomplishment (Self-actualization)

Source(s): 23-year old Deist

I would say that the destination is of utmost importance!

I would also be inclined to think the opposite as well, as that is what the Bible teaches.

www.graceteacher.com

Right now I'm focused on the destination... but I'm speaking literally, not figuratively or spiritually.

Source(s): 3 weeks til California...

James 4

14Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

Ever make the trip to Las Vegas with a head full of acid and a salt shaker full of cocaine?