Chest X ray question?

My Father-in-law has been refeered for various tests as he's been having throat problems and chest tightness since october. he's also a heavy smoker 40-60 cigs per day.

He went for a chest x-ray today and had two frontals done. one of his throat and a side view of his chest. Is that routine doing a side view x-ray as i don't think it is and am bit worried. He gets the results in 7 days.

Thanks Angelface...you are an angel for putting my mind at rest x

Best Answer

Completely normal, its called a PA and lateral. Most every time a doctor does a chest X-Ray they do both views.

Source(s): No problem! By the way I work for a pulmonologist so this answer comes from experience.

Sounds completely normal hun, whenever a pt comes in with a chest complaint its routine for the dr to do a chest X-ray!

Source(s): im a nurse

i had a chest x-ray done yesterday and had to stand with my chin on a flat metal thing with my arms round the machine and my shoulders relaxed, i am a heavy smoker roughly 30+ a day. ive been very ill suspected glangular fever sore throat (like swollowing razor blades) coughing so hard ive almost past out ive been ill for roughly 4 weeks now but when i cough so much my head feels like its going to explode. i dont get my results for 7-10 days! sigh... i hope your father inlaw is well and its nothing serious xox

• I don't know where "Dr Frank" lives, but everywhere I've ever been, a chest x-ray is a PA and left lateral. Completely normal. Although I don't know why they did his throat.

Source(s): I'm a radiologic technologist who has done probably thousands of chest x-rays

I'm afraid they are looking for and probably suspect cancer due to his cig habit. So yes, this is the normal to x-ray lungs and throat. I am answering from the UK.

A normal routine chest X-Ray is a single AP ( Anterior-posterior view) only. The series ordered here is not routine.

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember

If you have had a stomach issue for 3 months you should have gone to a doctor not the ER. I don’t know where the belly is. Apparently it is different than the abdomen. Maybe you mean the pelvis? I also do not know why you would suspect cancer, but tumors do show up on x-ray although it is not the best test for that

• yes, they check every area of the lung. it is very normal. i see it all of the time,

Source(s): i am a respiratory therapist