Are people like "Reverend" Wright destroying Christianity?

Too many "Reverends" like Wright, are becoming too engrossed in their own ideologies, and turning churches into platforms for their own ideas. When people like Wright open their mouths, they claim to speak the message of God. But how many of you really feel that way? Does he speak the same way you feel God speaks to you? If God punished us with 9/11, why would he have allowed us to prosper for centuries? We as Christians, unlike Obama, need to "disown" false teachers like wright, who are causing Christians to be labeled as hateful and bigotted

Favorite Answer

Actually no Rev Wright isn't doing the most damage and let me explain why... Reverend wright is the obvious...Those who more resemble a real christian would more infiltrate the Church before they are recognized by unsuspecting Christians... Think about it... If I went into a store to try to pass a counterfeit bill. And it looked like monopoly money do you think anyone would take that ? Of course not. Now if I went in there with a bill that was maybe not exact but very close to the original bill they very well my accept that... The same go's for false teachers and preachers of Christianity... So how do we recognize these counterfeits ? what's the answer? The answer is for us to study the word of God.. To become so familiar with the truth that when a counterfeit comes along we will be able to spot it right away.. One of my favorite pastors Dr. Charles Stanley has preached a few sermons on this very subject and has given the advice I am passing on to you...hope that helped answer your questions..

God bless you !

Source(s): The Bible / 38 yrs. life experience

Some segments of the media are just getting on the defensive because Wright's little 'campaign' is aimed right at them. They're not angry that he's ruining Obama's campaign because they were doing just that by using the Wright issue themselves. Now that Wright has stepped forward and made it a church issue rather than just a politcal issue, it's going to make it harder for the media to attack him to attack Obama, since it's now going to increasingly put black church-goers on the defensive. And when you are perceived as beginning to attack black tradition rather than a black candidate...welll...let's just say that it becomes a whole new ballgame. I have to laugh at just how easy it is for ethnic ignorance and stereotypes to take over. Being a black person, it's easier for me to understand the context of Obama's relationship with his pastor. The media painted a picture based on a stereotyped vision of the pastor and his congregation members and it's all led to this. I'm Catholic but, as a child, my grandma would take me to her baptist church often, whenever i spent the weeked there. I saw how politicians and important figures get treated and saw how their presence or absence from the congregation actually has influence on the tone of delivery of the gospel message. The fact is that pastors court high level officials in the black community because they can make the biggest donations. The second fact is that no pastor will preach politically charged sermons in front of political figures and risk their contributions - the politician always sees a different face from the 'average members' of the church. The Third fact is that pastors only preach politically charged sermons when there is a trigger event, either locally or internationally. It's really a case of 'when the cat's away the mice will play'. But you have to live it to know about it.

• NXile

He's just making himself look like the racist fool that he is. There are lots of pastors who have absolutely no idea of what the scriptures say.

Do a search on the "Erev Rav". These people are all around us, while claiming to be "with" us. Not so! The term comes from the Book of Exodus, but very few understand what it means. Just because they claim to one of us doesn't really mean that they are. There is a very deep spiritual lesson to be learned from that term.

You're right. I'm not a Christian, but I know that a teaching is a teaching and you can't change that based on perspective. He is a hateful man. If a white candidate had a white pastor preaching this nonsense, that candidate would have been out on his a s s a while ago now.

• Mark T

Yes. Yes. Yes. He does not speak like God. He has his own ideology. The punishement from God came down as warning signal. We fired God from school, we want him out of daily life, we accept homosexuality as tolerance, we accept pre-marital sex as something to do, we glofied the prostitute that is screwing the mayor of New York. What is next?

If your religion survived the terrible things it did during, for example, the Crusades, I'm sure it can survive some loudmouth preachers like Billy Graham. I mean, it was Falwell who so strongly supported Ronald Reagan and later said about 9/11, "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen."

Phil 1:15-17

Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

KJV

• Paul V

Amen, this Reverend Wright aint right!!! He's using the auspices of the Church to preach "His" hate!!! I say we get rid of him Wright now!!!!!

Rev. Wright and Rev. Phelps need to Team-Up at their Westboro Baptist Church.

"Birds of a Feather..."

Obama is a christian, You have to realize Wright didn't start saying things like that until long after Obama stoped going to that church