I want to become a Roman Catholic .... but......?

I want to become a Roman Catholic, but I am wrestling with two things. The first is that although I understand the importance of the Papacy, I don't like the current pope , Benedict XVI - I get extremely bad feelings about him, especially when I read that he apperently played a major role in covering up the... show more I want to become a Roman Catholic, but I am wrestling with two things. The first is that although I understand the importance of the Papacy, I don't like the current pope , Benedict XVI - I get extremely bad feelings about him, especially when I read that he apperently played a major role in covering up the abuse of children by priests.

The second thing that I am wrestling with is with regards to the child abuse situation that was revealed, particularly in the USA. Even though I feel very strongly as if I am being called to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church, I am worried about joining a church where this sort of thing has gone on.

So.. should I follow my instincts/calling or not? I welcome all Catholics to help me here as I really am in a quandry. When I see someone like Tony Blair become a Roman Catholic, for example, when in my opinion he has blood on his hands and behaved in an extremely uncharistian manner, I get even more confused! Yet, I feel called.

Help!!