Anonymous

I live in New Jersey and I want unemployment .I have been employed with the same job for 5 years?

I work in New Jersey as a Security Officer and I have been on the job 5 years and I want unempoyment can I get some advice please. I need a break

Best Answer

You can only get unemployment if you have been let go from your job through no fault of your own. If you quit, then you chose to be unemployed and there's no benefits for that choice.

• nadia

You seem to bring up a lot of points in the details section. To address the first basic question, it is helpful to know which state you are in as labor laws and unemployment processes are somewhat different state to state. If you are currently working you may not be entitled to unemployment insurance (UI). If you are not working and were laid off, then you are entitled to unemployment benefits. If your main concern is the benefits, you do not need an attorney. You open a claim. The employer can dispute your eligibility. In that case you file an appeal which would then be heard in front of an administrative judge, just you and the employer would be there, no attorneys. If the employer terminated you, state on the claim for the reason. If you were given something in writing from the company make sure it is consistent with what you put on your claim form. Then bring that to the hearing. For an employer to be disputing something like this they must substantiate the reason for termination is in lines with making the former employee (you) ineligible for UI funds (as these are paid for by the employer. That you were terminated for cause or quit on your own. I have been at such a hearing representing the company and we won as the employee falsified their statements and were not entitled to collect UI funds. Good luck!

To my knowledge, you can only get unemployment benefits if you're fired or if you get laid off. If you got unemployment benefit checks for quitting a job, then a lot of people would just quit their jobs and collect unemployment for a year. I have gotten it 2 times in my life, and both were because of lay-offs during the tech boom/bust of the late 90's early 00's after 9/11. If it's your fault and you get fired, it might be harder for you to get unemployment, because your employer would contest it. My advice is to start looking for another job if you hate the one you're at now, or possibly go to college and get re-trained in another field. All community colleges have financial aid programs, so, the money is there, it's up to you if you want to go through with it.

Unemployment isn't there for you to take a break! You should be greatful you even HAVE a job! I can't believe all the lazy people who thinks the government OWES them something!

You lazy $%#& you want money you work for it. The rest of us have to and I don't want to pay taxes out of my paycheck from my job that I would like a break from so that you can sit on your useless %$# and cheat the state! The fact that you ask this so nonchalant like it's a reasonable request makes my blood boil. How many people do you really think want to spend their whole life working. Most of us would rather do as we please but nothing comes free to the rest of us, why should you be special.

• Laura

If you need a break, take a vacation. Unemployment insurance is for people who lose their jobs, not so you can goof off.

get hurt to get on workers comp...or get laid off/let go is the only way you'll get unemployment. you don't get it if you quit or are fired for misconduct. i feel for you, but a lot of people need a break. it just doesn't work that way, unless you get lucky or are willing to stoop to unethical/illegal ways.

Wow! With thousands looking for work, you want out.

Hmmmmm, well, get yourself fired!

Hopefully someone who wants to earn an honest days pay will take your place.

move over here to england and do f**k all like all the others the taxpayers will buy you a house and pay for your fags beer and women etc for you!

• Tina T

Lazy bum! You should be grateful you have a job!