could i get epilepsy?

My mother was diagnosed with it @ the age of 16, she got it geneticly from my grandma, which my grandma got it at the age of 14-15..

I am 15 years old & there is a chance I could get it, the doctors told my mother just to be safe with me just incase..

Since it runs in my family, could I get it??

Best Answer

Epilepsy is a generic term used to define a family of seizure disorders. A person with recurring seizures is said to have epilepsy.

A seizure is a brief disturbance of electrical activity in the brain.

Prevalence: More than 3 million people in the U.S. have some form of epilepsy. Thirty percent of them are children under the age of 18. A large number of children and adults have undetected or untreated epilepsy.

Incidence: About 200,000 new cases of seizure disorders and epilepsy are diagnosed each year.

Age of onset: Epilepsy primarily affects the very young and the very old, although anyone can get epilepsy at anytime. Twenty percent of cases develop before the age of five. Fifty percent develop before the age of 25. It is increasingly associated with the elderly, and there are as many cases of epilepsy in those 60 years of age and older as in children 10 years of age and under.

Role of heredity: All people inherit varying degrees of susceptibility to seizures. The genetic factor is assumed to be greater when no specific cause can be identified.

you could, but it's not that bad if you do. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy at 18m and i'm 14 now. I've had a seizure in my grade 3 and 6 class (scared the sh*t out of my teachers) so my classmates are waiting to see if i have one this year.

One of the known causes of epilepsy is inheritance of the particular genes from either your mother or father. Neuro Scientists have isolated several genes which cause epilepsy. If both parents have epilepsy, the chance of inheriting it is greater. It is said that there is less chance of inheriting epilepsy genetically from the father, and 5 times greater from the mother.

Specialist geneticist practitioners would be able to test your genetic make-up and confirm whether you have inherited any gene known to cause epilepsy. For your peace of mind, it would be a good idea.

The answer to your question is yes. I got it at age 20. People get it at all ages and stages of life. It can just come out of the blue, as it did in my case, or it could be caused by many things such as;

Brain injury (car accident, fall etc.)

Stroke, high fever, encephalitis, drug and alcohol abuse, injury's from combat and a wide variety of additional causes

Please visit the epilepsy foundation website for more information.

I have recommended this book in 3 seperate ocasions for 3 different neurological problems. The book "The Brain Trust Program" by Dr. Larry McCleary.http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Trust-Program-Scientif... will educate people with facts on non-medical treatments for numerous related ailments.

Please get one at your local library or bookstore.