Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If extra-terrestials visit us, do you think they might think less of human race because of our religions?

Do you think religions make the human race look bad? If advanced intelligent lifeforms visit us to evaluate humanity's progress and standing, might they go "these primitives are still in the religions stage, they cannot join the Coalition of Intelligent Races, space travel or no space travel"?

What do you think?

Best Answer

religions are an important part of our history: we won´t change this fact. We could only re-write the history giving a different light; the light of a non-believer.

it´ s not so much about "thinking less" as being aware of what we can achieve with a non-religious thinking; a new - global - civilisation.

>If extra-terrestials visit us, do you think they might think less of human race because of our religions?

Yes.

>Do you think religions make the human race look bad?

Yes.

>If advanced intelligent lifeforms visit us to evaluate humanity's progress and standing, might they go "these primitives are still in the religions stage, they cannot join the Coalition of Intelligent Races, space travel or no space travel"?

Possibly, but I doubt it. Other civilizations would be more likely to contact us anyway and try to convince us to end our religious delusions, rather than leaving us to cause more harm and suffering to other people.

I think ET's won't actually visit us officially until we are more unified in our ways. They will probably look at religion as a stale organization that holds humanity's progression back. I mean think about this: if aliens from outerspace came to Earth officially, it means that it will disprove the Book of Genesis - remember, according to BoG, the Earth is roughly 6000 years old. If ET's were sincere in trying to form some form of coalition with us, they will not do it now because disproving Christianity and the like will cause mass world-wide panic for those who follow religion. In fact, I bet you that a lot of religious people will believe that ET's are devils themselves.

• Sara

My "religion" tells me to love the Lord, my God, with all my heart, soul and mind, and my neighbor as myself. There is nothing in the Bible that I know of that would preclude creation on other planets, since all the other planets are also part of creation. God is Sovereign and can do as He pleases. C.S. Lewis addresses this very question quite well in his essay, "Religion and Rocketry" contained in the collection entitled, "The World's Last Night and Other Essays." In this, he says, "Christians and their opponents again and again expect that some new discovery will either turn matters of faith into matters of knowledge or else reduce them to patent absurdities. But it has never happened." What if, just saying, what if a man comes to me from another city and declares there is no God? Shall I believe him just because he is not from my city? What if, just saying, what if an alien being arrives and declares to us all, "There is a God and the Christians on earth have had it right all along!" Would such a revelation upset the deeply ingrained faith of the atheist?

Abraham Lincoln used to make fun of guys like you : IF a tail counts as a leg, How many legs does a dog have ?

A couple observations I cribbed from the philosophers, for your audience, not for you.

-- The multiplicity of religions attests to striving for betterment. It is not the odious thing you make it to be.

-- Intelligence is the religion of the proud. (You?) They don't want the simple, the uneducated, the poor, the children to be saved...just the brains. How cruel and ,yes, ultimately stupid.

-- I see you interpret all this in terms of bad will and not in terms of inculpable ignorance. I smell a budding persecutor.

-- Finally, if they had any wherewithal to appraise religion it would have to be in terms of truth -- if they are as intelligent as you postulate-- but this is what you DON'T do. Maybe if we just bundle you off onto the spaceship and give them orders to force your mind open...:)

• travis

there is much to think about w/this question. Our creator is possesive of this world. Maybe He is keeping the ET's out? Or maybe, as is touched on in below scripture, one of the religions found on this planet has an inside contact??

Some say that I am an Extra-Terrestial!!!!

The problem with you humans is that you take everything too serious!!!!

You have to learn to accept each other for who you are....Even if sombody really winds you up!!!

Alternativly I'll lend you my ray gun!

• I think they would look on our religions as what they are. Interesting but Archaic and redundant explanations of Life's Origins.

1.) Aliens are demons and they don't care about us.

2.) If there are tue aliens, they would just wait for us to evolve since they understand the science of evolution. I bet all of them have passed our stages to reach theirs.

depends - it could be that they will be here looking for mineral resources, in which case they would probably melt down the vatican for gold, silver and other precious metals and gems...as I believe that that is the location of the largest store of these materials.