Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Seniors, what year did you graduate from high school? What was your life like then? What was going on in ..?

...the world that made an impression on you? Any special memories of music from that time? What are some movies you remember seeing with your friends at the cinema?

Best Answer

1969- Is the year I graduated from my mother's womb. but I post this to jog your memories!

In that year, 1969: (some are pretty interesting!)

**After 147 years, the last issue of The Saturday Evening Post is published.

**The first message was sent over ARPANET, the forerunner of the internet.

**An album considered by many to be one of the first in the heavy metal genre is released-Led Zeppelin I

**The Woodstock Festival is held in upstate New York, featuring some of the top rock musicians of the era.

**Dr. Denton Cooley implants the first temporary artificial heart.

**Wal-Mart incorporates as Wal-Mart Stores, Inc

**The Boeing 747 makes its maiden flight.

**The Beatles give their last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records.

**The U.S. Supreme Court rules that the First Amendment applies to public schools.

**Lyndon Baines Johnson leaves office as Richard Milhous Nixon is sworn in as the 37th President of the United States of America.

**The first draft lottery in the United States is held since World War II .

**The first automatic teller machine in the United States is installed in Rockville Centre, New York.

**Former United States General and President, Dwight D. Eisenhower dies after a long illness in the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C..

**Sirhan Sirhan admits that he killed presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy.

**James Earl Ray pleads guilty to assassinating Martin Luther King Jr. (he later retracts his guilty plea).

**A group of Amerindians, led by Richard Oakes, seizes Alcatraz Island for 19 months, inspiring a wave of renewed Indian pride and government reform.

**Operation Breakfast, the secret bombing of Cambodia, begins.

**The Stonewall riots in New York City mark the start of the modern gay rights movement in the U.S.

**Apollo 11 (Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins) lifts off toward the first landing on the Moon- and- The Eagle lands on the lunar surface. The world watches in awe as Neil Armstrong takes his historic first steps on the Moon.

**Edward M. Kennedy drives off a bridge on his way home from a party on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts. Mary Jo Kopechne, a former campaign aide to his brother who was in the car with him, dies in the incident.

**Negotiators from the Soviet Union and the United States meet in Helsinki, to begin the SALT I negotiations aimed at limiting the number of strategic weapons on both sides.

**An explosion aboard the USS Enterprise near Hawaii kills 27 and injures 314.

**The Harvard University Administration Building is seized by close to 300 students, mostly members of the Students for a Democratic Society. Before the takeover ends, 45 will be injured and 184 arrested.

**Members of a cult led by Charles Manson murder Sharon Tate, and her friends Folgers coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Wojciech Frykowski, Jay Sebring at Tate and husband Roman Polanski's home in Los Angeles, California. Steven Parent, leaving from a visit to the Polanskis' caretaker, is also killed. More than 100 stab wounds are found on the victims, except for Parent, who had been shot almost as soon as the Manson Family entered the property. The Manson Family kills Leno and Rosemary LaBianca, wealthy Los Angeles businesspeople.

**Charles de Gaulle steps down as president of France after suffering defeat in a referendum the day before. Georges Pompidou is elected President of France.

**Charles, Prince of Wales, is invested with his title at Caernarfon.

**The Battle of Dong Ap Bia, also known as Hamburger Hill, begins during the Vietnam War.

** the return of Okinawa to Japanese control in 1972. Under the terms of the agreement, the U.S. retains rights to military bases on the island, but they must be nuclear-free.

**Tom McClean completes the first solo transatlantic crossing in a rowboat.

**Yasser Arafat is appointed Palestine Liberation Organization leader at the Palestinian National Congress, and takes command the next day.

**The Australian aircraft carrier Melbourne collides with the U.S. destroyer Frank E. Evans in the South China Sea; 74 U.S. sailors are killed.

**A 385-metre (1,265-foot) tall TV-mast at Emley Moor, UK, collapses because of icing.

**Robin Knox-Johnston becomes the first person to sail around the world solo without stopping.

**The halfpenny ceases to be legal tender in the UK

**The EC-121 shootdown incident: North Korea shoots down the aircraft over the Sea of Japan, killing all 31 on board

**U.S. President Richard Nixon and South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu meet at Midway Island. Nixon announces that 25,000 U.S. troops will be withdrawn by September- and-The very first U.S. troop withdrawals are made. -and- U.S. President Richard Nixon declares the Nixon Doctrine, stating that the United States now expects its Asian allies to take care of their own military defense. This starts the "Vietnamization" of the war. -and- makes an unscheduled visit to South Vietnam, meeting with President Nguyen Van Thieu and U.S. military commanders

**Ohio State defeats USC in the Rose Bowl to win the national title for the 1968 season -and- The New York Jets defeat the heavily favored Baltimore Colts 16-7 in Super Bowl III.

**Zip to Zap, a harbinger of the Woodstock Concert, ends with the dispersal and eviction of youth and young adults at Zap, North Dakota by the National Guard.

**Jackson Five made their first televised appearance on the Ed Sulivan Show... and the Seventies begin.

1971 from Highschool. Movies I liked at the time would be Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, James Bond movies.

I never was real fond of Elvis for music and never was of the Beatles either. I was kind of between and liked stuff more Like Roy Orbison, Beachboys, 4 Seasons, Righteous Brothers, Jimmy Beaumont and the Skyliners . The Walker brothers etc.

Viet Nam probably made the biggest impression and so did the riots at the Democratic convention in Chicago during my High school years. We still had malt shops, drive-in restaurants and other 50's style things but the modern was coming in also.

I guess I got to live the last of the "Nelson Family" era and the 50's. When music went psychodelic, I quit listening. Had about 15 years or so when I hardly listened to music since it wasnt what I liked until I found some "Oldie" stations.

I graduated in 1959. Elvis Presley was a big thing with me back then .I saw his first tv appearance on the Dorsey Show and I still have a big Elvis collection today. Early Rock n Roll was just beginning. We had sock hops and we walked most places that we wanted to go. we had lots of fun just hanging out with friends doing nothing but being together. There was a lot of good movies during that time period,but I can't remember the titles now. Someone mention Splendor In the Grass, that was a great movie.

• kse

I graduated from a small school in 1970....My life was busy with my first full time job as a teller in a Bank, to help pay for college in the Fall. I remember being really anxious the first few weeks, but I loved it.

The bank was in a small town, and everyone was so helpful and friendly. I've always loved small town living since then.

Life was pretty much carefree. Meeting friends at the local drug store , a trip to the beach with my family, and tooling around with my sisters in the old VW Bug.

The Vietnam War was at it's peak , and the Watergate investigation later in 1972. I remember watching with my mother as Sam Ervin oversaw the drama of the hearings. Leading a pretty innocent life, I also remember being shocked and scared at the anti-war movement on campus.

The movies "Endless Summer" and "Clockwork Orange" were popular, as was the music of the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel ("Bridge Over Troubled Waters"). Wish I could remember more!

• Dinah

A year early, in August '64, after my second summer in summer school. Less than a year after Kennedy was killed, the same year Johnson enacted the Civil Rights law. Music, the Beatles, before they got even better. Movies, The Days of Wine and Roses in that time period, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter some years later.

It went by super fast. Seems like yesterday it was September and now I'm less than a month from graduating. I'm going to miss my school and my friends so much, and I'm sad to be moving on. I'm also excited for the future though. It's definitely bittersweet.

• dora

Graduated in January, 1962, the 100th and last January graduation for our high school, although there were many June graduations after that. Remember that JFK visited our high school when he was a candidate and we were excused from classes to go see him. We were all very excited and then embarrased, when someone shot peas a him with a pea-shooter. Didn't know then, that there would be more serious shots later.

The only thing that made an impression was being with my friends, not a care in the world, world war two was behind us. We stood in line for two blocks to see KING KONG. We would rather die than miss a school football game(top team in N. Calif.)or

school dance, started questioning the adults in our life regarding the displacement of Japanese from their homes, we wanted to know why they had to leave their homes and move into camps(this happened to good friends)we also wanted to know what discrimination was all about, then came Korea and some of our friends who had already graduated had to go, they had "NO" choice.

1954, Seems like Pat Boone, pop was mostly ballads, Teresa Brewer, gosh, I was working and getting ready for Nurses training in the fall. Les Paul and Mary Ford, The group that sang The Three Bells. Any movie with Richard Widmark. Right now I can't bring much to mind.

• SS G

I wish to write a book so that I can spend my balance life reading it! Who else will listen? Who has time? Therefore I wish to raise all questions and answer myself and read myself. Why I want to know others viewing the then Mooki (without voice) cenemas and gramaphones and bullock-carts? Since I was there then and enjoyed/suffered then, I sing my own sons silently in my own mental heaven.

• Milou

I graduated in 1963, we had great music , but right now it is to much of job to remember, all the movies, we were looking forward on going to the moon and president Kennedy was assassinated