Do you think its bad to donate food to charity...because you feel bad for being able to afford things?

Of course you want to help people.

But mainly you feel bad for being able to buy food every week, while people go hungry.

Or do you think that if you donate, no matter what reason...it's all good??

Is it the same thing... or is it selfish to think that way.

btw i'm not saying anyone should feel bad about having money.

my brains working over time so sorry about the jumble of words

Favorite Answer

I feel bad if I'm able to afford things and my neighbors are starving.

• Kris L

My husband and I have both been homeless or with a home but too poor to buy much food (even with foodstamps) and we went to the food banks for 'donated food' ... MOST OF IT WAS NOT GOOD FOOD ... people give 'outdated' cans they should throw away, broken (smashed) pasta, mixed dried beans that need different amounts of soaking and cooking time ... even vegetables they don't want to eat because they are wilted and dried out.

When I give to a foodbank (which we do regularly) I go to the store and buy NEW basics ... boxes of pasta (the best they have, too), NEW cans of food, fresh flour, fresh vegetables, canned meat and canned juices, baby food in all varieties ... then I take it and drop it off with a 'I hope this helps' and a big smile ... if I hang around, I tell the people that we once were where they are, and we have money now, so we are just 'paying back' what we were given ... and people hold up their heads and think that they are just 'down for awhile' instead of being 'down forever' ... it's not SELFISH to feed a person who needs food ... an old person, a worker, a mother, a father, a child ... PEOPLE DESERVE TO GO TO BED FEELING FULL AND KNOWING THEY'LL GET FULL THE NEXT DAY, WEEK, MONTH, YEAR. Donate GOOD FOOD (even if it means you must eat a bit less for a day or two a month) and the world will be a BETTER PLACE for ALL of us!

I think no matter what your reasoning behind donating is it is a good thing. Donating used or new clothes and toys or food is awesome and looks good. The main reasons people donate is because they feel sorry for those who have less, they were once there and know what it is like to have so little, they want a tax write off, and I think alot of famous people (NOT all) do it just to make themselves look better. If you feel bad about people being worse off than you, yet you are willing to help...that is awesome, because you have a heart and you are generious.

Source(s): past experience

It's not selfish in anyway. For this years taxes, keep a record of transactions of the value you donate. Checks for tithing and Clothes donated to Good well. I do know the system very well and have no love for the government and how cheap they can be. You shouldn't feel no guilt for having. The homeless have a choice to work or remain homeless,so you can give them Government cheese and if they complain; TS( expletive)! Beggars can't be choosers.

I sadly know how people consume more then they need to live, get fat for it, have diabetes, which is only common in the States... Hmm I wonder why?

Source(s): People will always be hungry until like Star Trek, we lose all concept of money, the root of all evil, and focus on what really matters!

Why would people have to feel bad about being able to earn things? It's true, we donate for a good cause, but without those people able to afford items to donate to charity, there would be no one to donate of course. Therefore I see no reason to feel bad about being able to donate to charity. We should not feel bad for what we are able to earn.

I think it's reason enough to donate food because at least you're doing something. There are some people who could care less, but you have a guilty conscience so go with the flow.

Donating is good. I think there is something internal that you feel bad about being able to provide for yourself. If you feel real guilty come to Wheaton Illinois Courthouse with me because I might need bond money (around 500) to stay out of jail. I AM SERIOUS. Email me at montelpaige@ yahoo.com or montel111@hotmail.com/

Do you feel better now?? Oh Yeah the courtdate is Monday 3/24/08 at 8:30 am.

What makes me feel bad: in most of the industrialised West, people pay taxes and the tax money is used by their governments to provide child care, eldercare, healthcare, and assistance to the poor and starving. But here in the U.S., we pay taxes and our government chooses to spend most of the money on Weapons of Mass Destruction, illegal invasions, and hopeless wars. The poor here are forgotten and for the most part, invisible as far as the government is concerned. They simply do not care about the one million plus children that go hungry day after day in this nation, nor the millions of starving poor, nor even the hundreds of thousands of homeless vets. That's what makes me feel bad, and that's what makes me angry.

Hello first thing I want to say.. Feeling guilty is never of the Lord ever ..in the Bible it States that there is there for now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus ..saying that ..I want to say there is nithubg wring with bring blessed but as I been taught .use what you have to bless others ..and if it is your neighbor or co worker ..great ..but the best advice I can give is do it in secret if yuyr able to is much note a reward than in public

Source(s): Expirence ..

If you give from your heart thats all that matters. You appreciate what you have and you have sympathy for those that are not as fortunate. You should feel like you owe anyone anything. Give what you can when you can. Not only will it make you feel good inside, but you will help some else in desperate need.

This passage is what really does it for me...it reaches into my heart and leaves me feeling like it is my duty as a good Christian:

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Matthew 25:31-40

I had this conversation with a friend the other day. if a homeless person asks me for "change for food", I won't give cash. I'll take them to the nearest fast food joint, and treat them to whatever they want. if that's 4 Big Macs, so be it. maybe that person hasn't eaten for a couple days. how would I know? I appreciate the fact that I'm more fortunate, but I'm very willing to share if someone asks me.