fizz asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

Stoichiometry problem....PLEASE help, i'm so confused-10 points?

i'm so confused when it comes to these stoichiometry problems. can anyone please help with this problem, definite 10 points to most help thanks-

Given: H2SO4 + NaOH ---> Na2SO4 + HOH(unbalanced)

it says to balance the equation first

a) if 20.0 grams of H2SO4 and 20.0 grams of NaOH are reacted, how many grams of Na2SO4 will be produced?

thanks a lot!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi fizz,

look at it this way: the left-hand side (LHS) of the equation

has 3 H, 1 S, 5 O and 1 Na. The right-hand side (RHS) of the equation has 2 Na, 1 S, 5 O and 2 H.

so the first action you need would be to multiply the NaOH on the LHS by 2 (since you need at least 2 Na).

This would then give you: 4H, 1S, 6O, 2Na. (on LHS)

next you would need to multiply the H2O on the RHS by 2 to get a balance of the number of Os and Hs.

This gives you: 2Na, 1S, 6O, 4H. (RHS)

after this you would notice that LHS = RHS, right?

You then would have the basic equation. Now be wary that the equation is basically saying

1 mole of H2SO4 reacting with 2 moles of NaOH will give you 1 mole of Na2SO4 and 2 moles of H2O.

Moles and grams are not equitable. I leave it up to you to work out the relationship of moles to grams (this should be part of your standard definition training) you will need this before you can calculate how much Na2SO4 will be produced.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

h2so4 + 2naoh gives na2so4 + 2 hoh

each atom must balance on each side, so by using 2 molecules of naoh it gives you 2 of hoh (h2o) and balances the na2 on the right hand side of the equation.

that is ---- 4 hydrogen, 1 sulphur, 6 oxygen, and 2 sodium (na) on each side of the equation ---- easy really,hope it helps.

part 2 ---- as two molecules of naoh is needed for a balanced equation, only half of the h2so4 will be reacted. so you will make 30 grams of na2so4 and have 10 grams of unreacted h2so4. ( i think )

• redick
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

From one lady to a different I actual have shared your stories and concerns and would make it easier to recognize this could be a common part of being 15. Kissing yet another woman on the greater youthful age of five or 6 is likewise a common part of self exploration for that age. infants often imitate what they see and don't constantly fluctuate between females kissing boys or females kissing females. likely the nevertheless of a woman kissing a boy at that age is corresponding to catching to cooties and is far less probably to take place than kissing yet another woman... lol As a mom i will make it easier to recognize that for this reason females should not be having intercourse with anybody at 15. of direction you probably did not say you have been having intercourse (thankfully) only which you seen what it could be like and those are completely wide-spread suggestions at your age. in spite of the undeniable fact that, considering the fact which you're at a point the place your thoughts could be puzzling (via fact your hormones over-means your basic experience at this factor in existence) it extremely is critical keep away from sexual family. As a mom i might advice you to speak on your very own mom approximately those subjects yet I additionally are conscious of it is not constantly undemanding for a woman to do. Now, so some distance as looking different females to be captivating - nicely they probable are captivating. there isn't something unusual approximately thinking somebody is captivating or sexy however if that guy or woman is of the comparable intercourse. The human physique can be somewhat captivating (if dealt with astounding). there isn't something incorrect in admiring suited human beings!

• vv
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

One mole of H2SO4 requires 2 moles of NaOH; the balanced equation H2SO4 + 2 NaOH ----> 2 H2O and Na2SO4

20 g of H2SO4 = 20/98.08 = 0.204 moles

20 g of NaOH = 20/40 = 0.50 moles

The reaction has NaOH in excess; the limiting reactant is H2SO4; therefore 0.204 moles of Na2SO4 ( molar mass 142.04) will be formed; 0.204 x 142.04 = 28.98 g formed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.