Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

what is the purpose electrically grounding somthing?

as in the purpose of grounding a battery in a car, or for instince i repair large printers where i work and there is a component that has a ground wire that touches a screw and the wire leads down to a another random screw on the side, how does that work? what is the purpose?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It keeps the user from being lit up by the AC supply voltage if something goes wrong. Something wrong, such as the neutral wire becoming open in the wiring in the device, or line cord, or electrical system. Current wiring practice is to use a neutral wire, and a ground wire in home and business wiring. While electrically they go to the same place, they are both used for safety reasons.

The negative side of the battery in a car attaches to the frame because it saves the cost of running 2 sets of wires every where in the car. It also helps to keep noise, such as alternator whine, out of the car stereo, or radio.

• 1 decade ago

Lol well let's hope u don't fix my printer. Grounding just interupts the flow of Electricty in a circuit. Breaking the circuit is usually done by grounding itself. That is what your doo-hickies are. They're running the circuit into the ground.

• 1 decade ago

Usually, electrical devices are grounded so that the casing of the object does not become electrified.

• 1 decade ago

so you dont FRY yourself when to touching a bolt on the case of the machine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.