Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

what are some quotes about harriet tubman?

ok like i need ur guys honest opinion im doing a report on harriet tubman and my teacher wants me to have alot of info on her so plz give me some quotes. plz and thanx xoxo

• mtnglo
    Favorite Answer

Quotes From Harriet Tubman

• I grew up like a neglected weed -- ignorant of liberty, having no experience of it.

• I had reasoned this out in my mind, there was one of two things I had a right to, liberty or death; if I could not have one, I would have the other.

• I had crossed the line. I was free; but there was no one to welcome me to the land of freedom. I was a stranger in a strange land.

• Quakers almost as good as colored.... They call themselves friends and you can trust them every time.

• I never ran my train off the track, and I never lost a passenger.

• We saw the lightning and that was the guns; and then we heard the thunder and that was the big guns; and then we heard the rain falling and that was the blood falling; and when we came to get in the crops, it was dead men that we reaped.

Quotes About Harriet Tubman

• From Alice Walker: "We will be ourselves and free, or die in the attempt. Harriet Tubman was not our great-grandmother for nothing." Alice Walker, You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down.

• From Frederick Douglass: "The midnight sky and the silent stars have been the witness of your devotion to freedom and of your heroism."

• From Frederick Douglass: "Much that you have done would seem improbable to those who do not know you as I know you."

• From William Still, diary entry: "Great fears were entertained for her safety, but she was wholly devoid of personal fear. The idea of being captured by slave-hunters or slave holders, seemed never to enter her mind."

• From Thomas Wentworth Higginson, 1859 letter: "Her tales of adventure are beyond anything in fiction and her ingenuity and generalship are extraordinary. I have known her for some time -- the slaves call her Moses."

• From Thomas Wentworth Higginson, 1859 letter: "... a more ordinary specimen of humanity could hardly be found among the most unfortunate-looking farm hands of the South. Yet in point of courage, shrewdness, and disinterested exertions to rescue her fellow-man, she was without equal."

• From Oprah Winfrey: "I am where I am because of the bridges that I crossed. Sojourner Truth was a bridge. Harriet Tubman was a bridge. Ida B. Wells was a bridge. Madame C. J. Walker was a bridge. Fannie Lou Hamer was a bridge."

Harriet Tubman is an immoral woman. Her behaviour was absolutely disgusting and she did nothing but drag black people further into the dust.

Source(s): Black.