How to convince parents to let me buy designer clothes?

I am not posting this question to get the "you don't need designer brands; store brands are just as good" talk. I attend an expensive, preppy private school where it is a sin not to own a pair of UGGs (which, among everything else designer, I don't own). And this is wrong, because people shouldn't be judged by the amount of money they spend on clothes (if you ask me), but everyone who attends my school is very elite. I don't have anything designer. It's not because my family doesn't have enough money, they just don't see the benefits-- I personally see tons of benefits, especially the quality of designer clothes. Designer clothes are expensive for a reason--the quality is so much better! How do I convince my parents to see my point of view? And don't call me a spoiled rich kid, because you don't even know me.

Oh and I'm not talking about like Hollister brand-- I'm talking about like True Religion jeans and Juicy.

Best Answer

i personally like the argument you just made to us, so just tell your parents that

and to that girl that just answered above me: hahah are you kidding me? holllister and abercrombie aren't designers

just talk to them abot the quality, etc. gradually get them to buy you a few pieces, and eventually you'll be buying that stuff. tell them to take you to nordstrom and stuff; also you can try taking allowance money or something and buying clothes

I get where you are coming from. I attend a private school too and so I am always trying to tell my parents that "everyone has designer clothes" and of course they say "i doubt everyone has them." so for starters DON'T use the "everyone has them" line. I know it seems like it will work, but it won't. ok UGGs are a good place to start since they aren't as high up as channel and gucci. Just tell your parents that you are a good kid who works hard and wants something nice. Explain to them that the clothes you buy at Target and A&F rip really easily and you want something that will last longer...saving them more money in the end. Make sure that you think out EVERYTHING you are going to say and don't lose your temper. Try saving your money to buy some nice stuff too.

good luck!

PrincessN

p.s. i agree with you--hollister and a&f are SOOOO far from designer. the real stuff is marc jacobs, juicy, channel...

I don't know that you need to buy designer clothes. Be an individual. Be strong. I've looked at True Religion and Juicy. I think they are overpriced for what you get. I am all about quality but at a reasonable price. With designer labels, you are not just paying for quality but you are also paying for the label. Unless the clothing is worth the price (detail, style, etc.) then show your parents that. Learn about clothing, fabric, sewing, etc. Be able to justify your wants. Show some independence and strength and also maturity.

Personally, I am very happy with Banana Republic, J. Crew, Ralph Lauren, DKNY, etc. I go for high quality classic styles so they last. I don't follow the trends. I go for what looks best on me. I wear the clothes. What look are you trying to project? People that judge you on shallow criteria aren't worth your time as they are silly people. What business is it of theirs? Are they paying your bills? I think if you develop your own style and have confidence in yourself then people will see that.

edit: I despise Abercrombie and Hollister. Trash. The clothes they sell are junk. They don't last. They are fine for girls who get rid of their clothes after a season but I would never buy them. I like clothes that last and look good. I'm willing to spend but I'm not going to overspend to impress someone who isn't worth my time. I get compliments on how I dress quite often and have my whole life. My mom has great style. She taught me well. I give her all of the credit for the style I have.

I assume you have some money of your own, allowance or savings or money you've earned. Use that for one or two good pieces. Show that you will give up something else for designer clothes. Then maybe hint at what you'd like for birthdays, etc.

actually u are wrong...after being in the fashion trade for 4 years i have come to learn this....expensive designer clothes are not of higher quailty they cost more because you are paying for the name...unless of corse the garment was made by hand..which most shirts/jeans...are not...usually u will find that on wedding dresses or prom dresses....just keep it real and tell your mom u want to fit in...every other student wears name brnads and u dont..maybe even take your mom shopping with u and show her what your intrested in..maybe she'll end up liking them to!

Source(s): fashion student

like you said the quality is better, so just tell them that, they should understand, and if they don't get a job so you can buy what you want.

um ok well just tell them what you told us maybe they will change their mind um but as far as im concerned you shouldnt go out and buy something expensive and all if you dont even LIKE it! how do you know your parents just arnt telling you that they dont have the money!? hope i helped...

well maybe at the dinner table you should talk to them about what you see. tell them that you want them to listen to your point of view becasue otherwise they will never know. Or another idea is to write them a letter ( persuasive ) telling them what it would mean to you, why you want it, ect. just make sure you really et your point across.

hope i helped!

well i think u can start out with buying something yourself and showing how much u wear it and how happy you are...

also dont ask for all designer, mebbe just one piece and then wear something not so prestigious with it

Toughie.... I guess you could.. .. .. .. ask for a holiday or birthday. But, otherwise . . . . Start ripping some other old clothes, tell them that "they just somehow ripped" and if you could get designer clothes, you'd prove that they're of much better quality!