Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Many people are calling Obama racist...are they saying this about McCain too? ("I hate go*ks" and "tar baby")

He made the "I hate go*ks" comment was in 2000

"I hate the go*ks, I will hate them as long as I live."

And the "tar baby" comment was in 2007.

It was Obama's pastor that said this, and yes I definitely think that's racist...but with John McCain, those are HIS words.

Update:

MCCAIN USES RACIAL SLUR ON CAMPAIGN TRAIL

Per the Des Moines Register:

Cedar Falls, Ia. - Republican presidential candidate John McCain used the term "tar baby," which is sometimes associated with racist connotations, during a campaign stop in northern Iowa on Friday and immediately expressed regret.

Update 2:

Wednesday, March 1, 2000

McCain under fire for racial slur

The Associated Press

WESTMINSTER, Calif. — Bruce Hoang understands the anger Sen. John McCain has toward his North Vietnamese captors. It was, after all, war.

But like many in Orange County's Little Saigon, home to the largest group of Vietnamese outside Vietnam, he can't understand McCain's use of the word ``gooks'' to describe his prison guards.

(02-18) 04:00 PDT Greenville, S.C. -- Editor's Note: This article was published on Feb. 18, 2000. In January 2008, at least two national web sites posted links to it. As a result, it appeared in the list of SFGate's Most Read articles.

Arizona Sen. John McCain refused to apologize yesterday for his use of a racial slur to condemn the North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured and held him captive during the war.

"I hate the gooks," McCain said yesterday .

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chron...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

"I would bet money you would have the same opinion of "guards" who tortured, beat, bayoneted, and placed you in solitary confinement for five years."

So, you can understand this hatred just fine, but you can't understand the anger and resentment of the African-American community that still bears the after-effects of slavery and Jim Crow?

When Obama was born, most states in the Union made it illegal for black and white people to marry and have children.

When Wright was young, white policmen were siccing attack dogs on black people that had the audacity to demand the right to vote, but you can't understand that African-American rage, can you?

I am not making any excuses for anyone and I am a Roman Catholic who finds most of what I hear said in most protestant churches to be at least marginally offensive. However, it is funny to see such a stark contrast:

Priveledged white man has some negative experiences and he gets a pass to use racist, hateful language. In fact, he will inspire other racist scum on Yahoo Answers to speak up for him and to defend his bigotry.

Angry black man with MASSIVE HISTORICAL EXPERIENCES OF OPPRESSION AND SUBJUGATION at the hands of bigoted, priveledged white men (just like John McCain, actually) and all of a sudden it's:

"Reverse racism! Reverse racism! The white man is being oppressed! To arms! To arms!"

Scum...bigoted scum...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When he said tar baby he was refering to a sticky political situation and regreted that the term could be construed to a different meaning.

As to the gooks comment I think the man gets a pass, they held him prisoner and tortured him for years.

Words and sentiment are 2 different things. McCain didn't even know what tar baby meant and certainly his context of its use had nothing to do with Black people. It is also not certain that McCain understands the feeling of Asians as to the other term and he by no means intended that to refer to all Asians. His intent was not there.

Wrights intent cannot be misconstrued, the sentiment is clear.

Holding someone accountable for the misuse of a word is PC cowardice, holding them accountable for a direct and thought-out diatribe is intellectual honesty.

Do you think all Brits hate gays because they call cigarettes f@gs.

• 1 decade ago

Well, I can tell you Mccain was a POW and tortured by those he has chose to hate.

Exactly how bad has Obama's life been? His rage is forged from what?

• jef s
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

you're full of it. If Mccain had said any such thing in his life it would have come back to haunt him time and again prior to this election. I doubt some nerd sitting in his mom's basement would have found this out when the left wing liberal media hasn't.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Obama is the one making race his platform- not McCain. A candidate should not preach from the pulpit if he himself is guilty of the same charges he doles out on others.

• T-Bone
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

To answer your question;

No, I would bet money you would have the same opinion of "guards" who tortured, beat, bayoneted, and placed you in solitary confinement for five years.

McCain has repeatedly stated he will never forgive the guards of the Hanoi Hilton.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He fought and was tortured by the people he called those names. It is different with Obama and his pastor.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, I agree... Present the facts? Sources??

• 1 decade ago

Got links to context?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nice try at deflection, but McCain isn't running his campaign based on unity!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.