shayla asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to speak another language after an accident?

Well a friend had a hand injury and he started speaking some jibberish,when he was told to speak english he had a thick accent, and that was 8 years ago and he still has it today, what could this be some kind of personality gimmick or what?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Profuy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think this person speaks another language. My guess is that his problem is a post -concussion or post-traumatic syndrome due to head injuries, not hand injuries. He might have hit his head when he hurt his hand and might not remember it.

In the brain there are two specific areas where language is processed and my guess is that one of them could have be injured.

Have a look at these:

Broca's area is a section of the human brain that is involved in language processing, speech or sign[1] production, and comprehension. Broca's area is named after the 19th-century physician Paul Broca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broca%27s_area

Wernicke's area is a part of the human cerebrum that forms part of the cortex, on the posterior section of the superior temporal gyrus, encircling the auditory cortex, on the Sylvian fissure (part of the brain where the temporal lobe and parietal lobe meet). It can also be described as the posterior part of Brodmann area 22, and, for most people, it is located in the left hemisphere, as the left hemisphere is specialized for language skills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernicke%27s_area

• 1 decade ago

of course it is completely possible. Here in brazil we have a singer what suffered a terrible car accident some time ago... when he was recovering he just could remember english and spanish but not portuguese. You can listen to the songs of the group "Paralamas do sucesso" and try to get some information about Herbert Vianna ( the vocalist) inthe net... it is indeed a miracle he is still alive and playing on whell chair after so long... today he speaks portuguese again normally.

And we also have researches that language has nothing to do with intelligence....

Greetings from Brazil to you! be well

• 1 decade ago

it is not possible to speak another language after accident . bkz after accident people can forget his past things but not forget his language if that forget everything that means that is in comma.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know how and why this happens, but I've heard of several cases like this.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.