JenEstes asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Keep it Wrigley - any baseball fans got a minute to preserve history?

Hi baseball fans...the Cubs mailbag writer mentioned this website (which I was really surprised she could do on the official website). Does anyone want to sign it? Pretty please?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/pledge-to-boycott...

While the Wrigley family is the same as the gum corporation, the field was renamed in honor of William Wrigley and the Wrigley family owned Wrigley Field and the Cubs for over 60 years, the longest any family has owned a ballclub, until unfortunately William Wrigley III had to sell it to pay an inheritance tax after his parents' untimely passing. The Wrigleys started many traditions that make Wrigley Field so unique, for example, flying the W flag to symbolize a win. That is how it differs from a corporate sponsorship.

Thanks so much everybody - you rock!

Favorite Answer

I'll sign it. Wrigley Field is an amazing ballpark! Us baseball fans should do everything we can to preserve one of the last historic ballparks left. :)

• John H

I was more than happy so sign the petition. Maybe Cubs fans should unsubscribe to the Tribune and get whatever paper in Chicago that is considered the main rival.

Mar 18, 2008, John H., Connecticut

In 1992 while in college a couple of us got together and did a road trip to Chicago, it ended up with a ballgame at Wrigley Field. It would be a total shame to sell the name to another company. I think if every Cubs fan gave $1 to name the field Wrigley Field it would be more than enough to appease the new owner and his apparent need to sell the stadium naming rights.

It's hard to draw the line of what is a true fan or not. I agree with some of the other users. I try my best to keep up to date with the whole league, not just the Twins. Though, I don't have the time to just watch baseball coverage all day and only read about baseball news and stats online all the time. I also have other interests that I'd like to invest some of my time in - other than baseball. Also, not all of us have had the ability to play baseball or softball. I don't think that necessarily takes or adds to whether a person is a true fan or not. I've never played either of them outside of gym and I still have a complete understanding of the game.

They should both keep Wrigley & Fenway Parks they serve to the history of Major League Baseball.Since be the last year of the great Yankee Stadium it be a shame when come down.I share your view of Wrigley Field and maybe the Cubs will be in the World Series.

Sorry - but I cannot sign it. Wrigley really needs to be changed. One trip to Hell know as the mens bathroom is enough to make me call for change. They need to tear down the grandstands and start over. Maybe make it so that there is not all those stupid pillars blocking your view, or make the upper level not hang over the grandstands, blocking your view of high fly balls.

I am all for "history", but I would rather go to a game where I can see the ball in play then go to a historic park with obstructed views and a half hour wait to pee in a long bathtub.

I'm from Philly and went to Wrigley about 3 years ago. Even though it was falling apart then, it was beautiful and nastalgic. I'm a big supporter of keeping good things the way they are. Why change what's been great for so many years.

i signed it after i saw it onthe cubs site, and 1 thing whoever said the money goes to wrigley`s renovations,it doesn`t it goes to the rich, greedy, idiot sam zell, that just sold the naming rights to get more money for himself, as if he didn`t have enough already. sam zell can go to hell and the the company that is buying wrigley, not the naming rights, willpay for th rennovations

Great site...Thanks for sharing it. I just finished sending it to a lot of people. Hope they do not change the name. I've been to Wrigley Field several times. It is an awesome stadium with a whole lot of history. They just changed the name of our stadium & it sucks...nobody had a chance to boycott it.

Star for you.....:~}

Why should the Wrigley chewing gum corporation get to keep the name? They don't pay for renovations. If you want to keep "tradition" give it back it's original name of Weeghman Park , for the guy whio built it. The park was built in 1914 and not changed to Wrigley until 1926.

Where do you people think the money to manitain ths park will come from? Cubs have no parking revanue, Fans cry and moan when advertising is put in the park. Bottom line is that the park is old, and needs renivations. Revivations cost $$$$$$$. if you wnat to pay $400.00 for a bleache seat, than be my guest, don't sell naming rights.

It's done. Leave it to the government to tax you when your parents die. Sorry, I know this is not the politics section. Wrigley Field Forever.

birdman: it should be up to the fans. not who pays more money for "renovations".