Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 1 decade ago

how can i get my wheels on my skateboard to go faster.?

i dont live around and skateshops or a walmart or anyplace that has skateboard stuff so i cant buy any. is there a way i can just buy wd 40 or will that hurt it . any suggestions

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The first thing is to check if your axle nuts are too tight. they should have a little play in them. If they are too tight the wheels will not spin freely.

If that doesn't work you may need to clean the bearings. You can clean them if the bearings are serviceable. Usually they will have a rubber or flat metal shield. If they have a crimp on shield or are rusted, they will need to be replaced. Clean them in denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol does not leave a film or residue like many petroleum solvents, it's not water based so the bearings will not rust as easy, is easy to find and fairly inexpensive. Lube them with a skateboard bearing lube, or Tri-Flow in the bottle, not spray. Check at hardware stores or bike shops for these items.

Do not use WD-40 it leaves a dirt attracting film and its lubricant properties are short-lived.

If you are not familiar with bearing maintenance, check here http://www.bonesbearings.com/gap/maintenance.html

If none of these things work, you will need to get bigger, harder wheels.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't lube your wheels!

But I reccomend that you clean out your bearing then re-lube them before you put them back in.

Step 1

______

Get a Qtip and clean out all dirt and stuff in there.

Step 2

______

I use this lubricate designed for a paintball gun called "sl33k" you can find it from a paintball company called "ion" but... I think 99% of lubes should be fine. I just prefer that one, since it has been the best out of the 6 I tried.

• 1 decade ago

A better way would be to just exercise more, the gain you will get from lubricant will be minor or nothing. Stronger legs and better pushing form will move you much faster.

A harder wheel would also give you more speed, more than costly lubes anyway.

• 1 decade ago

Clean your bearings and relube them, they're probably gummed up or full of dirt. Never use wd-40 it leaves behind a residue that will only collect more dirt and dust. just lubing them might work if you plan of replacing them soon otherwise clean them and relube they'll last a lot longer. Bigger wheels also mean faster board.

http://skateboard.about.com/od/boardmaintenance/ss...

Source(s): 17 years skateboarding
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, the best thing to do is to go to like a sports place (Garts, Sports authority etc) to get this crazy citrus based cleaner. and clean them with a CITRUS based cleaner. After you do that, just get some kiind of lubercant, like this stuff called Break free, or you could but some lube called Bones swiss speed cream. I used it and you must clean them first.

If you don't, dirt and dust particles get between the bearing and then they rust and You just lost like, ummm 20-30 bucks.

Source(s): Skating 4evr
  • 4 years ago

change the wheels if you skate smooth surfaces put on it some hard wheels maybe 95a 99a 0r 101a if you skate really rough surfaces do the opposite 78a or some

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

buy some oil or lubricant and put in on the axle of the wheel, it should be much much faster!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Get new bearings or taller wheels

• 1 decade ago

either get speed demons or grease them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.