Does anyone know why we celebrate St. Patricks Day?

My son brought home a paper in Kindergarten that explained what St. Patrick's Day was about, and I can't remember what it said. Does anyone know why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Best Answer

We celebrate St. Patrick's Day because this was the day that St. Patrick went to Ireland to convert its people to Christianity. St. Patrick, as a boy, was captured by pirates and sold into slavery into Ireland. After six years, he escaped and went home. St. Patrick began his work in pagan northern and western Ireland. He gained the trust and friendship of the local tribes, over time. He is said to have founded more than 300 churches in Ireland during his lifetime. Ireland was almost entirely converted to Christianity by the time of St. Patrick's death. One of the legends of St. Patrick states that he drove all the snakes for Ireland.

Source(s): My head; we studied this in History.
  • leslie

People seem a little agitated in replying to this...! First off I'm Irish and I honestly don't see the racism involved. I mean, wouldn't it only be racist if the British WEREN'T celebrating st Patrick's day? and booing those who were?!? Some of the replies make no sense at all, St Patrick although the patron saint of Ireland, was born in England! That's like telling everyone that they can't celebrate Halloween because it originated in Ireland!! Seriously, the dude "seerdet" to get a life and enter this century!! He seems to be the only racist one here and it really annoys me what he said! The point is, don't you think that we've moved on from all this hostility?? whats wrong with English people wearing English jerseys on Paddy's day?? does that mean Americans cant wear American jerseys? that everyone around the world who celebrates it has to wear an Irish jersey??!?! I'm ranting now so I apologise but for people to infer that it's racist is just ridiculous!!! =]

Its the feast of St. Patrick, Irelands patron saint - the conversion on the Irish to Catholicism

Source(s): Raised by Irish Catholics

Well I know why the Irish celebrate it but I don't understand why Americans celebrate it. It be like the English celebrating St Davids Day.

• Ems

saint patrick banished all the snakes from ireland to.. wooo love paddys day.. IRELAND best country

We don't celebrate it its just a day for people to chill and have fun

Source(s): ok well i asked millions of people

You read the paper but you don't remember what it said? Uh oh!!!

• Breiga

its about 'saint' patrick killing all the pagans in ireland and converting the rest

re read the paper... i am not irish and i do not celebrate this holiday...

• it comes from ireland??..i dont know but..but it has something to do with irish