How many watts/ volts do police carry in a stun gun/ or taser? How many volts/watts could injure somebody?

If size matters, is there a spec sheet somewhere that would say how many watts or voltages to stay away from when purchasing a taser or a stun gun? I'm interested because I've heard stories about people getting injured to the point of getting killed by stun guns and or tasers. So, to definately incopasitate a person from doing any harm, what is the watts and voltage a person is looking for? I know this is a lot more then one question, but they all need to be answered so, if anyone has any info... please leave whatever you may have. Thanks.

I'm looking at a 975,000 volt taser? Is that even reasonable to carry around for protection? What would a person be in store to get if they just wanted to make sure they incopasitate a person, or knock them out cold? What is 975,000 volts going to do compared to the 50,000 volts? It's a stun gun compared to a taser? What are some precations when using a taser/ stun gun, other then the other person is going to be mad? I'd want to make sure the person doesn't feel good for a while. But, I wouldn't want to kill them. Just close to it, as close as I can get them to meet their master? What do I need, and whats legal? Anything you can give me to work with is good, so if you know anything at all, you probably know more then I do, so any information would be of help, thanks a lot for your answers.

Police tasers have 50,000 volts, but that is not harmful. Amperage is what is deadly. Tasers have less than .02 amps, which is 30 times less than the lethal dosage of .7 amps.

Stun guns have fixed contact points, tasers can fire probes. The probes are more effective, because they can lock up your muscles if they are separated by more than 4 inches. Stun guns just cause a lot of pain, but they do not incapacitate a person.

Statistically, 98% of people tased suffer no injury at all. As for the other 2%, most of the injuries are from the fall, because you lose control of your muscles. There are some deaths associtated with the use of the taser, but these deaths alwasy happen AFTER they are tased, not durring. They also always have a pre-existing conditon, most commonly drug overdose.

Tens of thousands of officers have been tasered, and not one has died. This should tell you there must be some other condition that causes death.

Source(s): 16 years law enforcement Taser Certified
    • Justin4 years agoReport

The majority of the time the pre-existing condition that causes death from stun guns or heart defects and pacemakers

• Katie

There is a very large difference in a stun gun and taser.

A stun guns is required to touch the assailant and it comes all the way to 1,000,000 volts (look it up on the Internet if you don't believe me)

A taser on the other hand shoots 2 probes into the assailant body (usually no deeper then a 1/8 of an inch) and they only come up to 50,000 volts.

• gary5 years agoReport

Katie,
      Power (watts) = I (current) x E (voltage) or P= I X E. It isn't the Volts that kill you. It isn't the Amps (current) that kills you. It is the combination of both.
      Look it up if you do not believe me. Physics 101

even small electric shocks can stop a heart. already over 300 people have died from being tasered. ofcourse coroners who are afraid of being sued by Taser lawyers wont blame the devices and instead say that the victim MAY have has a pre existing heart condition. they dont say that there is any evidence of any, just that there COULD have been.

the way i see it is like this. If i punch somebody in the head and they die. would i be able to say " well he COULD have had a brain annurism or tumor, so its not my fault." ??? ofcourse not, i would go to jail for murder. and thats exactly what should happen to police who use a taser on somebody and they die. police will argue that they taser themselves during training and none have died so far. but there is a big difference in tasering a police cadet who is in shape and young, and tasering an old lady, college kid, 45 year old woman, 60 year old man. BIG DIFFERENCE

and nick from utah is completely wrong. electricity doesnt pick and choose what muscles it affects. it affects all muscle equally. due to mineral content the ENTIRE BODY conducts electricity. fiber has nothing to do with it. the heart (like all muscles) is triggered by electrical signals in the nervous system. when u get hit with electric it triggers those muscles, thats why they tense up. the same thing happens to the heart. if electricity is being run through it, its stops beating for that time period. and sometimes, its doesnt start back up, thats why hundreds of people are dead after only a few years its been on the market.

Sorry, but where did Trooper3 receive information relating to the fatal current being 0.7 Amps? Thats clearly false - a fatal current is in the order of 0.1 Amps (100 mA), and even then thats basically an average (since human volunteers are difficult to find for determining fatal levels of anything) and more likely to be an LD-50 (lethal dose for 50% of population) estimation.

Fact - currents far less than even 100mA can be fatal.

Also, peak currents from most TASERs far exceed 0.02A!!

Our dose:fatal ratio isn't looking so good now, is it?

Combine that with the 300+ deceased (who, by sheer coincidence, decided to leave this world after the killers in uniform played their tragic part) and you can no longer hide behind "your stats".

Go watch another training video.

• gary5 years agoReport

Alan,
      Power (watts) = I (current) x E (voltage) or P= I X E. It isn't the Volts that kill you. It isn't the Amps (current) that kills you. It is the combination of both. Look it up if you do not believe me. Physics 101 You must have been sleeping

Its actually volts and amps. High voltage as suggested, but low amperage. 50 v can kill if the amps (current) is high enough.

1

• Diana

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axCVM

They don't have them here yet. They just use pepper spray and beat you out of camera range back at the station.

Thank you for the answers everyone <3

there 5000 wats in there police gun and 50,000 can kill them

uuuh, who here is qualified? a licensed medical doctor? please raise both your hand above your head. law enforcement individuals need not act like qualified health professionals. not qualified to give health advice. as always, please consult your dr or pharmacist. haha