Will the UK Government ever do anything to address the benefits culture?

example: I ask this as an employed key-worker on a low income (for the area I live in - London). I have been told I do not earn enough to rent a 'cheaper' flat especially for key workers by my local housing association. (the rent is £650 pcm - 2 bed and my current private rent is £725 - 1 bed) On... show more example:

I ask this as an employed key-worker on a low income (for the area I live in - London).

I have been told I do not earn enough to rent a 'cheaper' flat especially for key workers by my local housing association. (the rent is £650 pcm - 2 bed and my current private rent is £725 - 1 bed)

On the other hand, I have been told by the council I 'earn too much' to qualify for their help even though I am pregnant and about to be homeless!

So really what is the point in me working since it seems so easy to get help if you don't bother to get off your @rse and work but not so easy if you do (in a key work profession at that!!)
Update: kow, if you read the question you would understand how it relates to benefits.
Update 2: to clarify, I am NOT talking about people who HAVE to claim benefits but people who CHOOSE to!