Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

how do i make windows media player play video for avi files??

when i play and avi file on windows media player (11 with all updates), it will only play the audio, and shows a visualization for the video. i need step by step instructions on how to make it play the video from the disk and not just the audio. or if you have any other suggestions of another video player i could download, that would be great too. i have quicktime and it wont play it either.....

i appreciate any help i can get.

thanks a lot

Best Answer

This is most likely a codec issue.

I recommend using VLC media player (it can play anything). Best part is it's free, open source and completely free of spyware. It is also the most popular player out there.

VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.

If you also want free codecs, the K-Lite Codec Pack should allow your media player (e.g. Windows Media Player) to able to play 99% of all the movies that you download from the internet.

• Karin

They can. I don't use Windows Media Player for avi files though. A good alternative to Windows Media Player that is quite a versatile player is VLC Player. But Windows Media Player works fine! Have fun watching your movie.

You need to download AND install the correct Codec for AVI files.

I haven't been able to get it to play with WMP... What I did was google searched a AVI format player. I used one I found and it works perfectly. The other option is searching for an AVI to MP4 reformatter, the downside to that is reformatters normally cost money...

Hope this helps.

Download and install the "Kazaa Lite Mega Codec Pack". That will sort you out.

Real Player baby go to freedownloads.com and get the latest version free I belive but yeah thats all I use Real player works the best for me.

You need a codec pack like KazaaLite Codec Pack.

Go here and they will answer all your questions:

http://www.videohelp.com

go on the Microsoft site and they will point you to a wmp thingy (can you tell I'm really tech savy????) I just did it the other day and now I can play it all.

Good luck to ya.

download XviD-1.1.3 codec and install it. after installation every video will run. its size is also less, just 627 KB only.

Go and download VLC. It will play just about anything and doesn't require codecs.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/