Why do people consider some one who is biracial black?

I'm wondering and I always have wonder. Why when someone has one parent who is black and one who is another race ( in my case white) are they consider black? I've always had a hard time understanding how one discounts the other. If someone was lets say, half Indian and half Japenese, what would you call them? You would say they were both. But somehow when someone heritage is black with anything else they are automatically considered black. It really makes no sense, especially in these days. Consider that this habit of automatically labeling someone black (regardless of hertiage) comes from slavery. In those days they want to assure that if someone was an eigth black it was known, so they could be kept enslaved and not "passed". Why are we still perputating this?

By the way I pretty much look like my avatar

Often ppl dont know my race at all (from just looking at me). I've heard everything from light skin black to Malaysian. I get hispanic more often than anything. Ne way my point is you cant really say its based off of looks.

my fathers white for the "seed of humanity guy"

Best Answer

Here are three possible reasons:

1. They decide what race they think someone is based on how they look. Sometimes when multiracial people look white people assume they are white. If someone is half-black and half-asian or half-native american and half-middle eastern, it might depend how people percieved their appearance what they were called.

2. Someone multiracial is thought of as black because they self-identify as black. This is at least partly the case with Obama, as he does feel strong connections with the black community and identify as black. Biracial people who are half-white might identify more strongly with their non-white side because that side needs them more, to stand up against oppression. On the other hand some people also choose to pass as white because they are tired of dealing with inequality and some days when you are too tired, you just do what you can to get by.

3. Ignorant people are holding over the Jim Crow thing and counting anyone as non-white that has a drop of non-white blood. Ironically the same ignorant people can't even tell a person would meet their archaic rule if the person doesn't look non-white!

Both sides are equally important. To discredit either would be discrediting half of ones self. Ive known people who's father is black and mother is white or who's father is white and mother is black. Both times they are light or dark skin. It does not depend on the father exclusively. Why? The time when the father was white and the mother was black the child was very dark complected. So, it not only depends on the fathers race. In the end , it depends on how you perceive yourself. Whatever you identify with than people are going to take it that way. I think it is always most healthy to relate to all sides of your race. It does come from the slavery era and just kept going.Your right it does not make any sense but that is why racism still persists. The ways of the past just keeps going without anyone willing to do different. This is why there is the OTHER box. If they were really interested than why is this box around. It is time that the OTHER box was gone. One time the African American box and the Caucasian box were both checked, however later the officials within the school checked African American.There needs to officially be a box for biracial.

Why would you want them to be called white? If someone is biracial, you won't know without asking them really anyway, and why does it matter? Skin color doesn't define a person. However, there is always an "other" box when filling out any forms if your description is not listed, so if it's not listed, and they consider themselves to be black & white, or either of the two, then mark whichever one applies, and I don't see why it's anyone else's business. However, if you don't know someone or their background, & their skin is dark, then I could certainly understand why someone might think they're black. People need to get their feelings off their shoulders and understand that slavery is over, and has been for a very long time in this country. The reason we are still dealing with issues like this is b/c "race" is a business for the Al Sharptons & Jesse Jacksons of the world, and because people want to have issues about things. You don't have to say anything hateful to be termed a bigot these days, and people are always out there looking to incite issues. Obviously though, if someone is considered black by others, then it's probably b/c the pigment of their skin and other genetics are dominantly darker

Because the "seed" of humanity is resident in the body of the male [and not the female, whose body holds the "egg" which must be fertilized by the "seed" of the male], then one's racial heritage is determined by the father [i.e., if the father is black and the mother white, for instance, then their off-spring(s) are considered as black and not white - Barack Obama is an example of this]. This is why the race of one's biological father always determines racial heritage and contributes such a significant influence upon their outward physical appearance. This has always been, for me at least, the manner in which I have thought about this matter [recognizing, of course, that others may, or may not, agree].

• Not Me

I have two biracial friends. Their mom is black and dad is white. One of my friends has a very dark complexion and she is considered black. My other friend is light skin and she is considered white.

I understand where you are coming from. I guess people will always judge from the outside.........

I dont know why it's so hard for some folks to understand that if you appear to be Black then people will consider you Black, even if youre biracial....if youre biracial and you look Caucasian then people will automatically think you are white, and unless you go around with a sign that says Im biracial then what do you think people are gonna think?

When I was in school in Buffalo, Ny, if you had even a "drop" of black in you, the schools had you listed as black. I guess they got more state aide that way. Sucks anyway you put it because I'd rather just check other and write "american" but they have to categorize us somehow, but honestly we are all a hodgepodge.

People really aren't stereo typing you. It is likely that your skin is darker and/or you have other ******* features so you're classed black. Caucasion & ******* are 2 different forensic races. American native & Japanese are both of the Mongoloid forensic race so yes there is a difference.

This has to do with long-time 'cultural' stigmas in this country.

The 'common' rule of thumb that has been followed for centuries is that if you have even "one drop of 'black' blood' in your veins, you can be considered black (or African-American, your pick).

So if you have a parent, grandparent, great-grandparent or great-great grandparent you can be called 'black' or considered 'black'. The thing now, is that virtually ALL 'family trees' have AA or Native American blood somewhere....

It's just social thing now, and usually has no 'racial' undertones (at least not in my circle of friends). I have a friend who is mixed (Sicilian and AA) and she considers herself black. It's mostly a personal call now. No big deal, at least unless you let it become one.

people just go off your apearence. im all white...urgh lol but i personally would like biracial kids and i would hope they would say the are mixed race or biracial and not just aim at there fathers race but as long as they are happy. peoples race shouldnt matter