Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

How does drowning to death feel?

I've heard that your lungs go on fire and your lungs burst and you internally bleed to death? I think when I was younger I almost drowned in the ocean - I was very very panicky but at the same time I think I felt like I was ready to die like going into a dream state..any one know what I mean? Just curious as I do not see this question being answered would like to know thanks!

Favorite Answer

There are typically five stages to a drowning:

Surprise

In this stage, the victim recognizes danger and becomes afraid. The victim assumes a near-vertical position in the water, with little or no leg movement. The arms will be at or near the water's surface, making random grasping or flipping motions. The head will be tilted back with the face turned up. Victims rarely make any sounds; they are struggling just to breath.

Involuntary Breath Holding

The victim has now dropped below the static water line and the body, in an attempt to protect itself, initiates involuntary breath holding. This occurs because water has entered the mouth and causes the epiglottis to close over the airway. Though a victim may continue to struggle, he/she will not usually make any sounds as he/she cannot breathe. Without oxygen, the victim will lose consciousness.

Unconsciousness

Because the victim has been without oxygen, the body shuts itself down as unconsciousness results. In this stage, the victim will be motionless. Because breathing has stopped, he/she is in respiratory arrest. There is no chest movement or breathing sounds. At this point, the victim sinks to the bottom of the water, either slowly or rapidly, depending on factors such as the amount of air trapped in the lungs, body weight, and muscle mass. The victim will remain unconscious (and die) unless breathing is reestablished.

Hypoxic Convulsions

Due to the lack of oxygen in the brain, the victim may look as if he/she is having a convulsion, which is why this stage is called the hypoxic convulsion stage. The victim's skin turns blue, especially in the lips and fingernail beds, and the body may appear rigid. There may be violent jerking of the body and frothing at the mouth.

Clinical Death

The final stage in the drowning process is death. Clinical death occurs when both breathing and circulation stop. The victim is in cardiac arrest. The heart stops pumping blood. The vital organs are no longer receiving oxygen rich blood. The lack of oxygen causes the skin to turn blue.

Death By Drowning

• Erika

Feeling Of Drowning

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How does drowning to death feel?

I've heard that your lungs go on fire and your lungs burst and you internally bleed to death? I think when I was younger I almost drowned in the ocean - I was very very panicky but at the same time I think I felt like I was ready to die like going into a dream state..any one know what I mean?...

Source(s): drowning death feel: https://biturl.im/qLOJA

It is somewhat like a dream state i imagine.. i was 14 when i nearly drowned. i just remember being under water for a while & not being able to breath.. i felt as if my lungs were gonna burst & my head was going to explode.

one. once u start to drown you would struggle to Get back up to breath, causing random Hand movement.

2. your ogxygen last about 5-15 sec underwater..

3. your eyes might be left open Making it able to See underwater. (may be possible)

Source(s): nearly drown to death when i cant swim

this morning i was swimming in my pool with some friends, and the pool has a pool mat which we folded in half and we were racing under it to the other side, my pool is about 15-20m long in length. at one point we were racing and the mat starts to unfold itself while we were under it so i noticed the distance was longer so we stopped racing and just tried to catch a breathe and my friend makes it out because hes a fast swimmer but me i was still under the mat swimming to the exit. i couldnt breathe and i felt a big pain in my lung and i saw the exit so i was swimming up and i felt like i was in a dream and i could feel my skin was white and i was so close to losing consciousness it was a traumatic experience

I don't know if it holds true to the one who asked the original question, but it know I googled this question because I recently lost my husband to a drowning accident and go through morbid thoughts and hoping to God that he didn't suffer. So those people who are leaving not very nice comments, I hope you never have to ask a question like this because you couldn't fathom the pain

I doubt if you'll get many answers. No one who has drowned to death will be able to get back to you on this.

I imagine it feels like suffocating and choking. Not that I've ever choked to death, either.

You hold your breath until your body forces you to breathe, after which you inhale water and seriously start to drown. In some people, the act of inhaling water causes the larynx to spasm shut, which suffocates them. You can actually drown without inhaling any water.

One person who survived drowning said that inhaling water caused extreme pain in the chest and lungs, which was probably from muscular spasms. After they stopped trying to breathe, the pain eased and the felt as if they were in a pleasant dream.

I can't imagine drowning as being pleasant.

When you drown you're eye sight is fading and you slowly die, you see dark and not feeling anything you're body tries to fight back but it can't do anything. Then its all waiting to die.