How do you wash your king or queen size comforter for your bed?

It's hard enough to fit a twin-sized comforter in my standard-sized washing machine, so I'm wondering how people fit their king or queen comforters in their washing machines. For now, I have blankets on my bed until I decide whether to buy a queen-sized quilt or a comforter.

Also, how often do you wash your comforter?

• Kamp
    Favorite Answer

Down by the sea side early in the morning ...I scrub and scrub and beat the heck out of that comforter with a racket ball racket. It's really hard lugging the wet mess back up to the car to take it home so I lay it out on the rocks, get on my knees and say a prayer that it doesn't rain, then get my box lunch out and my IPod and have a musical feast, then take a nap. By the time I wake up it's really dark and I've over slept and realise that I should have used one of those oversize washer/dryers at the launderette...need I say more?

Source(s): "Good Housekeeping Along the River"

If you do not have a large sized front loading washing machine take the comforter to the laundrymat and use the double or triple loader machines-they are more than big enough.

If this is a down comforter, use a clean tennis ball or tennis shoe in the dryer to get the feathers to fluff.

I wash mine 3 to 4 times a year. The duvets (the covering) I wash more often.

Gonna go with the masses and say take it to the laundromat. I finally got to buy a super capacity washer which does my quilts and blankets but it's still not big enough to fit comforters into so I take a magazine and use the time to relax.

• Rose

now they make sheets with extra deep pockets. the inches are so many for king:80 x 80 but that seems smaller than my bed sheets. i just got a king so i got rid of the queens: 59 x 79. just yesterday i accidentally tried a king on a queen or a double, i don't know what that bed is but the sheet was enormous and not smooth. so i had to start over.

The best way is at the Laundromat. They have the machines large enough for them. Something you can do between washes is wet a cloth and add a fabric sheet to your dryer and put setting on med. Refreshes it nicely

Now I have a front load washer to wash the queen size comforter I have.

I wash mine once a month

Good grief Kamp just set the Laundering Associations back five decades! I got tired just reading that!! lol

I have friends who do own comforters and they have them professionally laundered before storing each year.

I don't actually have a comforter, I use a doona and just wash the cover weekly.

The doona itself gets well aired before storing away over summer.

I take it to the laudromat, as they have a large washing machine to do the job. I wash mine twice year, but change the sheets weekly.

Laundromat....quarterly

take them down to the local Laundromat.

they have king size washers and dryers.