Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

At what tempature of fever should an adult go to the hospital?

farenheit degrees

Favorite Answer

Well that depends on what else is going on with you (nausea, vomiting, pain), how long you've been running a fever, and what the possible and likely causes of the fever are.

A persistent fever over 100.4 for over 5 days without other symptoms warrants a doctor's appointment at least.

A temperature of 102 for a couple days in a row with no other symptoms warrants a visit to the doctor.

A temperature over 102 with other issues (headache, pain, nausea) warrants a visit to the ER.

Over 104 go to the ER, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Over 105 don't stop to read the answers here just go!

Fever over 106 can cause brain damage and death, call 911 and get there by ambulance if need be.

What else is going on with you? What's your current temp? Have you taken it more than once?

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): tempature fever adult hospital: https://shortly.im/aQXpj

I am on Betaseron for secondary progressive MS. I took a dose yesterday and it caused my temperature to rise. At it's peak, my temp hit 105.6. I did not go to the hospital here for two reasons. 1 they would have given me more tylenol and sent me home, then charged me 2000 dollars for that tylenol. and 2. They would have given me flack for coming in when there were "real" emergencies happening. (yes, they did that to me when I took my preemie son in for a 105 fever when he was 2 months old)... I don't do hospitals, but when the Ibuprophen kicked it, it went to about 103. It finally broke around 5 am this morning. I don't vomit or have the runs with my fevers, but I do get very dizzy and occasionally seize (I am epileptic as well).

• About your baby: You should demand punitive action for whoever told you that. It's better to go to the ER with something mild then stay home and have it turn out to be serious. 105 is major in *any* person. In a child under 3 months it can be fatal. (per Mayo clinic and other hospital sites.)

• rosieC

Get medical help:

If an adult has a temperature of more than 103 F (39.4 C) or has had a fever for more than three days.

Call your doctor immediately if any of these signs or symptoms accompanies a fever:

A severe headache

Severe swelling of the throat

Unusual skin rash

Unusual eye sensitivity to bright light

A stiff neck and pain when the head is bent forward

Mental confusion

Persistent vomiting

Difficulty breathing or chest pain

Extreme listlessness or irritability

Abdominal pain or pain when urinating

Any other unexplained symptoms

Source(s): professional nurse

I've worked in the E.R., but I am not a doctor. I would say over 102. If you have uncontrollable vomiting and/or diahrea go before that. Drink clear fluids like water or broth if possible and eat light meals. If pain is involved and is high on the 1-10 list go now too..

Source(s): personal experience

If you think its serious you should go in.. 98 degrees is average temperature, I would go in if i hit 105, But like I said, if you feel like you should, id go in at 103

So glad that I found this topic already answered! it's like you've read my mind!

I'd say 104. But I had temp up to 105 and stayed home. Just remember once you're over 107...you better hope someone is taking you to the hospital. That also happened to me one time.

It depends on how long you have had the fever and if you can get it to come down. 105 and above if you can't get it to come down with tylenol and ice or a cold wash clothe on your forehead. If you can't get it to come down then get yourself to the hospital where they can give you some medicine and some fluids.

I don't think anyone can truly tell you